PTCAS Generic Essay Vs UM ESSAY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hector82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many people on this board I am arduously trying to complete my PTCAS application. Doing so, I noticed that some schools require and additional essay, aside from the generic PTCAS admissions essay. Although I am not entirely happy about this, I will gladly oblige.

Upon submitting my application for UM I noticed an uncanny resemblance between the Generic PTCAS admissions essay question and the additional UM admissions essay question.

Lets see how you guys would interpret this:

PTACS:
Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

UM:

.What is your motivation for pursuing a career in physical therapy?.

Is this a mistake? Do they actually want you to write two entirely separate essays on these extremely similar topics? Do they not want the Generic PTCAS essay and only theirs? Do they want the same essay twice?

PTCAS states that the additional essay posted will be sent to the actual school. So I thought, perhaps, the generic Essay is looked at using a separate PTCAS Scale and the additional essay is sent to the school to be looked at by the UM admissions board...maybe UM doesn't want to see an additional essay just PTCAS generic one. Essentially, each entity is using separate scales and rubrics to look at the same essay? I dunno.
I think the PTCAS system gets a 1/10 in user friendliness, its so vague.

Members don't see this ad.

just send in the same essay twice...it's not like they are actually going to read it.

besides, if you do send in the same essay twice, and you are answering the same question twice, everything is good (this is just in case they do read it).

man I love being drunk

but it is sad that I check this after a game

so sad

Use the same essay. If the topics were drastically different, go through and edit it to make it more pertinent to the topic, but it looks like they are practically the same. Make sure to check the length limitations for both essays.

I just don't understand why they would do that? If UM is using PTCAS, why would they want the same essay twice? It just doesn't make any logical sense.