PTCAS LOR and Prerequisite Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirifical

SPT
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what kind of recommendations are preferred. I'm an East Asian Studies major, so I have Japanese class everyday, and I have gotten to know the professors relatively well. On the other hand, I was a Calculus III grader and also got to know that professor. But these are not science professors, and my science classes have just been big lecture courses, so I didn't get to know those professors as well. Is it better to choose a science professor to write your LOR who you had brief contact with or someone from your non-related major who knows you better for PTCAS?

My second question is about when to apply. My grades for my Physics II course won't be submitted to the registrar until August 22nd. Should I submit my transcript and application before the class is done, or should I wait so that this grade can be submitted? I have 2 other prerequisites that I'm taking in the fall as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools, in my experience, do not require you to have a LOR from a science professor. It would be wise to get a LOR from a professor who knows you a little better, so that they can write beyond the generics associated with many LORs. As it relates to you application, I would try to get it in as soon as possible. Many schools have rolling admissions, and sometimes if you snooze you loose. I believe I e-submitted my app on 8/30 last year. If your physics II grade is in by the 22nd of August, you would still be earlier than a lot of other apps if you get it in right away.

On another note: When you do get Letters of Recommendation from professors make sure that they understand how important it is to get them in on time. They can sometimes be the thing they holds your application up the longest!

On another note: When you do get Letters of Recommendation from professors make sure that they understand how important it is to get them in on time. They can sometimes be the thing they holds your application up the longest!

Definitely the thing I'm waiting on now :/.... I don't wanna be too pushy but I'm going to email my science professor next week, and personally go in and tell the two PT's what the deal is :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely the thing I'm waiting on now :/.... I don't wanna be too pushy but I'm going to email my science professor next week, and personally go in and tell the two PT's what the deal is :p

Yea. It can be frustrating when you are playing the waiting game. Be patient, but also convey to those writing your LORs that the timing of your application is important. I would imagine that so many professors and PTs know the deal so it's no need to be:scared: yet.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to ask my professors soon.

The only thing I'm worried about is the October 3rd deadline for one program since it says PTCAS can take up to 5 weeks to process the application and I don't prefer cutting things that closely, but I think it would be better if I could get Physics into my prerequisite GPA.

This x a million!!!!!!!!! Seriously, a couple of my recommend-ers almost gave me a heart attack!!!!

In fact, I eventually had to send this letter out to the people who were being too slow to get them rolling.... Thankfully it helped (so I'm posting it in case someone needs it for ideas on how to kick people in the pants and get it done! :p)

Hello all,

You are receiving this email because at one point and time in the past year I have asked you for your assistance in fulfilling my new career path as a physical therapist, and you have agreed to help me in some way -- whether it be observing, writing a recommendation, etc.

I am sending this email because PTCAS.org (the application system website for Physical Therapy schools) has informed me that they cannot send out my applications until they receive the following information.

Hours of Vertification - ___________

Recommendations - ________________ & _________________

It is of the utmost importance to me that I get all of my requirements fulfilled as soon as possible. As most of you know, ________ is my first choice for school and they began reviewing completed applications on September 1st. My application has not yet been sent to them (Or to ____________ or _______________ Universities) because it is deemed incomplete.

If you have submitted your verification and/or recommendation then please let me know that it is in transit. I am getting extremely nervous as deadlines are quickly appearing and I do not want to miss out on another year's admittance.

If you have not had a chance to submit these things, then please, please do this as soon as possible. If the information was sent to you electronically then please double check your spam or junk mail folders to make sure that you have not missed it.

I do not want to be a bother after you have all been more than willing to help me, but I do need to get things complete so that I may be considered an official applicant into a program.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me back or give me a call at ______. I realize you are all busy, but if you could set aside some time to complete this information I will forever be grateful.

Thanks and have a great one!!!
Name
email
phone number

Last edited:
Go with whoever knows you BEST and can really give you a great LOR.

I would wait until you get your grades back. You'll still have plenty of time and you can always just go on PTCAS and get your app started.

Does anybody know what a PTCAS LOR looks like? Will the person doing the recommendation have to actually write a few paragraphs, or is it simply a check-the-box questionnaire?

Obviously, the questionnaire format is a lot easier and quicker to fill out, but I wonder if it'd be as descriptive as fully-worded sentences.

It is 3 pages i think (i was told later by one of my LORs after she had filled it out)and the first verifies their info, and then i think the second page is more of a check box type thing, and the third page is where they write a few paragraphs or something like that