Quantcast

PTCAS LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himonocat

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
When asking for a letter of recommendation, is it better to ask a professor in which you earned a good grade in their class? I am thinking about asking my university chemistry professor, I got 2 C's and 1 B. Will my grades be a hinderance from writing a good letter of recommendation? I have gone to her office hours to talk about my performance and she had made accommodations for me for a change of testing environment at one point. I have also volunteered multiple times at a science fair she puts on for local elementary schools.

Thank you in advance.

Skyris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose between a professor who gave me a B, but with whom I had a good relationship and they had communicated to me that they were enthusiastic about writing a strong letter of recommendation, versus a professor who gave me an A but we never really talked, they didn't know me that well, and/or I felt they were not enthusiastic about writing the letter, I'd probably go with the B grade prof.

I'd say it is possible to get a great letter from a professor who gave you a B. I had my microbiology professor tell me he has written a letter for a student who got a C, plenty for students who got B's, and he emphasized what a difficult class it was.

Reactions: 1 user

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be super up front about your concern. The professor needs to be able to affirm your ability to handle hard academic classes. I would be worried the recommendation would end up "he/she is a great person but not a strong student". Talk to the professor first and see if they feel they can speak to your academic ability despite your low grades.

himonocat

Reaction score
mmendation would end up "he/she is a great person but not a strong student". Talk to the professor first and see if they feel they can speak to your academic ability despite your low grades.

What would be a good way to approach my professor about my concern? I am only able to contact her through email since I graduated from the university and don't live nearby.

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be a good way to approach my professor about my concern? I am only able to contact her through email since I graduated from the university and don't live nearby.
I would go with something like "I'm applying to PT school this cycle and need a reference from a professor. I feel like you know me well from office visits, special projects, and volunteer work. It is important for my application that a professor be able to speak to my ability to do well in the academic setting at PT school. In your classes I received (specific classes and specific grade so she doesn't have to go look them up). (Say something about them next....despite me receiving a C in the first class with you, I was able to do X, Y and Z and turn that around. I've worked hard on my study habits since then). Are you willing to write me a strong letter of recommendation for my application? I will provide you with my resume and and also a few paragraphs detailing my work with you (this is where you basically send a draft recommendation that is super specific about all of your work and points the recommendation to cover your weak application areas). I'm happy to give you a call at your convenience to talk more about this as needed"

On a side note, did you double check that your PT schools will accept 2 Cs? Many will take only 1 C in pre req courses.

Reactions: 1 user

himonocat

Reaction score
I would go with something like "I'm applying to PT school this cycle and need a reference from a professor. I feel like you know me well from office visits, special projects, and volunteer work. It is important for my application that a professor be able to speak to my ability to do well in the academic setting at PT school. In your classes I received (specific classes and specific grade so she doesn't have to go look them up). (Say something about them next....despite me receiving a C in the first class with you, I was able to do X, Y and Z and turn that around. I've worked hard on my study habits since then). Are you willing to write me a strong letter of recommendation for my application? I will provide you with my resume and and also a few paragraphs detailing my work with you (this is where you basically send a draft recommendation that is super specific about all of your work and points the recommendation to cover your weak application areas). I'm happy to give you a call at your convenience to talk more about this as needed"

On a side note, did you double check that your PT schools will accept 2 Cs? Many will take only 1 C in pre req courses.

I have retaken the pre-reqs that I have received a C in. Retaking my last C pre-req class for physics this summer.
Thank you for the feedback!