PTCAS Reapplicant Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I received the letter of rejection from the university I admit it felt as though a ton of bricks came crashing down upon my chest. Overwhelmed, yet, determined to make it I quickly got back to reality and started moving forward. I did some troubleshooting and research to see what outlets I could utilize to improve upon myself and my application. Then soon after I sought out for elements that would readily help prepare me for a greater chance of admission to a DPT program.
First I began researching in more detail schools who had an accredited DPT program, challenging curriculum, and vibrant community that would suit me best. Then I took a CPR class got my certification and began seeking employment opportunities in the physical therapy field as an Aide. Also, feeling the need to further educate and refresh my knowledge of the human body and some specifics of Physical Therapy I visit the library at least twice a week. I have read various books and articles on some of the fundamental and new developments in the field. The books I have read and are still keeping up with have been on Anatomy and Physiology, Biomechanics, what is physical therapy and it specialty areas etc... The articles I've read state some of the newer outlooks in physical therapy like "Older Adults Can Reduce Risk of Falls with Physical Therapist-led Programs" www.apta.org. This article states how using coordination techniques like T'ai Chi, dance moves and other daily activities can help elderly patients reduce the risk of falls. And the other articles the entail the things like role of "Vision 2020" www.apta.org in the physical therapy profession today, and "5 Best Workouts for Chronic Pain" www.prevention.com/fitness such as walking; stretching; strength training; yoga; and everyday activities. These academic scripts have been very informative and has given me another notch of enthusiasm gearing me towards knowing that becoming a physical therapist is the career for me. Physical therapy is a profession that teaches you, on a professional level, how to teach and help others help themselves. I do genuinely try to help,learn,and teach something positive everyday when I rise and before I go to bed. That is why I'm sure physical therapy is the profession for me.
Regularly, I try to implement myself in my community. On a day to day bases I help those, within the limits, in whatever I can do. I try to guide my peers, friends or whomever into healthier more productive lifestyle. There are times I help mentor children in the neighborhood that need any help with their schooling , and/or any personal issues. Another two times a week I help my elderly neighbor, who has had a stroke, with her daily activities in her home by doing a couple of chores. We even go on short walks for exercise and she calls me whenever she needs me, which is not often because she is very independent. I'm always helping my elders with their bags, or helping whomever needs help crossing the street. That's the type of person I am, just up and out everyday being me.
The 'moral compass' of being compassionate, motivating and dependable is something that can not be taught in Physical Therapy. These are important attributes that I possess and believe will help me to establish complete competence in a professional career. The willingness to encourage, a strong integrity,and my ability to adapt to obstacles will allow me to succeed as a great candidate in your program. Always guided by my integrity I know I will seek out to continually improve upon my academics and personal characteristics for a better quality of life. Distinguished by my mature and industrious nature I know I will be a very effective asset to the healthcare field as a physical therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Philly, you've developed a great essay. But in my opinion, you spent too many words on what you read but not what you have done. Although I admit reading those books and articles are fundamentally important to become a PT, it just seems not that impressive to the readers. Good luck for your reapplication

I agree with rickgeli, your essay is good however you should focus more on what you have done over the year to make yourself a more competitive applicant. This was my second time applying and in my essay I made it a point to say that I retook the gre, got more observation hours in different settings, retook some science pre-reqs, ands continued to work as a pt aide. This time I around, I recieved a few interviews and will be attending one of my top schools. Good luck and make sure you make it clear that you want to be a PT!

Make sure you have someone edit your essay as well, for spelling and grammatical errors.