PTCB Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDeb

wake me when its over
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking the Pharm Tech Certification exam this July. Can anyone tell me if the exams ask questions about specific drugs, interactions, etc.? Or are the questions more math, A&P, and drug classes in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Aw C'mon...there's gotta be at least one person that can tell me something!

well its crap, its basically math a few drug questions, nothing that requires brains. Also there's a lot of questions on flow hoods (never used one so i got most of those questions wrong), and syringes size and stuff. if you've worked at a pharmacy and you're actually one who pays attention to your surroundings no reason for you to study,
and the good thing about this is they give you like 150 questions and 20 of them are freebies, and you only need to get like 80 questioins right or something to pass their exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
fub5623 said:
well its crap, its basically math a few drug questions, nothing that requires brains. Also there's a lot of questions on flow hoods (never used one so i got most of those questions wrong), and syringes size and stuff. if you've worked at a pharmacy and you're actually one who pays attention to your surroundings no reason for you to study,
and the good thing about this is they give you like 150 questions and 20 of them are freebies, and you only need to get like 80 questioins right or something to pass their exam.

Thanks, that gives me some idea. I've never worked in a pharmacy, but taking a little course to learn something about it. I'm just having a hard time with keeping the med's straight, so was concerned if there would be hardcore questions about them.

dont sweat it just remember, that promethazine suppositories are kept in the fridge with the insulins.

Know your controls.

DEA number calculation etc.

Grab a PTCB prep book for your local book store and you'll do fine.

You may not pass if you've had 0 exposure in a pharmacy.

If you do well on the math part which is a large proportion of the test you dont need to know any of the drug name stuff. Most of what they ask about drugs are generic, class and a few more specific questions about insulin.

I would check out a review book from the library and concentrate on learning the laws, regulations and general operations, and how to calculate IV flow rates. Most of the other math is simple conversions, so learn the common conversion factors too.

I used a book at pharmacytrainer.com, its pretty cheap, and they have an online course too.

Thanks for the tips guys. It was a great help. You convinced me to go ahead and take it. Even if I don't pass it the first time, no harm done. :thumbup: