PTCB Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvn273

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my PTCB exam on the 18th and am about to study for it, does anyone know what the test stresses more on or any advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Mosby's review for PTCB it was great. the test is mostly calculations and a few questions about the laws and the generic-brand drugs..Good Luck

I'm taking my PTCB exam on the 18th and am about to study for it, does anyone know what the test stresses more on or any advice. Thanks!

Decipher the sig:

Lipitor 10mg

tk 1 t qd po

amoxicillin 500mg

tk 2 t bid ug

zpak

us ud

Are cucumbers located on produce or fruit section?

If your store has a sale for dozen egg for 20% off, and your egg cost 1.00 at regular price, at club price it is 99 cents, how much is the sales price plus tax?

Members don't see this ad :)
its not bad...learn the major drugs as well as the ones that the book repeatedly focuses on for bad drug interactions. I remember having several questions on Warfarin (Coumadin). The math is super basic.

which are the best study materials and where can I find them? I also would like to take this test in the near future, paid for by the wonderful kroger pharmacy

There are several different versions of the test. People told me their test was 50% algebra. This was good news to me, as my skills are strong. However, my test was only ~15% algebra. Instead I received several questions, like:

Which drug is the same as Claritin?

Loratadine
Desloratadine
Clarinex

I got a lot of decipher the sig, as well.
I also remember a question pertaining to hospital gowns, about which I know nothing.
You may have a lot of math, or you may not. A lot of people recommend Mosby's. Read through it once, and you should be good. The test is cake, especially if you've worked in a pharmacy.

which are the best study materials and where can I find them? I also would like to take this test in the near future, paid for by the wonderful kroger pharmacy

You might try your local library. No, really, I'm serious - that's where I got my book. Since I took the test, I've seen folks post some fantastic online resources on this forum in response to this very question, so either the Search function or Google might also yield some high quality stuff.

FWIW, I'm lucky I got a lot of conversions & dilutions or I may not have passed. You may want to ask your pharmacist about different pharmacy specific stuff (like where you find A-B ratings), and in addition to the top drugs, vitamins are fair game.

be able to figure out dosage questions as far as liquids go.
simple example: if you have 7.5mL of amoxicillin 400mg/5mL, how many mg amoxicillin do you have?
simple stuff that you can generally solve with cross-multiplying

For the generic brand drugs, should I just study Top 200, or try to study everything (which i highly doubt I will, book has too many)

Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? You should know brand/generic.. especially for over the counter type things, and sig codes. Conversions were heavy on mine. I think if you already work in a pharmacy the PTCB is a breezeee but if you havn't studying is a good idea :p

Hey Guys,
Can I still take this exam if I haven't received any sort of training at a pharmacy?

Hey Guys,
Can I still take this exam if I haven't received any sort of training at a pharmacy?

Yes! Anybody can take the exam. But if you havn't worked in a pharmacy, you will really need to study for the exam. It's not hard but you need to know brand/generic, conversions, a few pharmacy laws, sig codes, ect. There are plenty of books at the library and a few you can buy.. but I am unsure of the "best" books to study with. You can also take a class to help you prepare..

Look in your local library. You may be able to find study books for free! Everyone here has given very good advice about what to study. Passing is more difficult if you do not have pharmacy experience, but it is not impossible. I used The Pharmacy Technician (and the accompanying workbook) by Perspective Press and the Mosby Review book. Passed on my first try.

Good luck!

Hey Guys,

Currently studying for it now. Most of the books I'm looking at are basically the same. I'm studying mainly from Mosby's since the reviews were good but overall it doesn't seem that bad. I don't have any pharmacy experience, but most of the laws are common sense. The math is pretty much cross multiplying. Sig codes are just stuff you have to memorize. Hardest part is knowing the generic/brand names of the drugs, the book list 1000's but some books have the Top 200 which I'm focusing on.

You need to buy 2 books:pharmacy Technician Exam by Learning Express and the other book is:
Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician,if you read these 2 books well you will pass.

its not bad...learn the major drugs as well as the ones that the book repeatedly focuses on for bad drug interactions. I remember having several questions on Warfarin (Coumadin). The math is super basic.
Hi, Nick. I'm hoping you can help me with this. I read a few of your other posts, noticed that you were from SC AND that you took the PTCB exam. Are you an officially certified pharmacy tech now (meaning that you have a job)? Because I've read the information about becoming a legit certified tech in the state of South Carolina and it stated that taking courses were necessary to become an official certified pharmacy tech recognized in this state.

I know that this ruling didn't become concrete until 2005, but I'm assuming that you're relatively young and your pharmacy plans/certification started after 2005. Are you taking the classes for certification or did you not even bother with that? Is it really not necessary to do the schooling? Loopholes or something? I'm sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions; I just need some answers and I feel like going to school for something when it doesn't feel necessary to do so is pointless. I would really appreciate your response. Thanks.

How much of the test is dedicated to drug brand/generic info?

How much of the test is dedicated to drug brand/generic info?

When I took it not too long ago, like 2 questions, maybe 3. A lot of practice on calculations, laws, and a basic understanding of physiology/biology will get you a solid pass. I used mosby's and totally ignored the sections on drugs/interactions, pharmacology, and epidemiology, and did fine. Spending time on the things I just mentioned that I ignored would not have improved my scores at all. Mosby's practice exams were harder than the real thing for me, too, so it's a very, very good review if you just focus on what's important.

When I took it not too long ago, like 2 questions, maybe 3. A lot of practice on calculations, laws, and a basic understanding of physiology/biology will get you a solid pass. I used mosby's and totally ignored the sections on drugs/interactions, pharmacology, and epidemiology, and did fine. Spending time on the things I just mentioned that I ignored would not have improved my scores at all. Mosby's practice exams were harder than the real thing for me, too, so it's a very, very good review if you just focus on what's important.

Thank you! :)

by calculations what do you mean? can you guys specify what kind of calculations? sorry im just freaking out... i would like to know exactly what to expect hehh