PTCB Test (study materials)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notecard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I don't normally play this card but my dad has a friend who works in Human Resources at Lovelace and she said that if I could get certified I could be hired almost immediately as a Pharmacy Technician.

Problem is, I have no idea how to study for the PTCB exam. I was wondering if someone here could point me in the direction of a textbook or flash card type thing to study. I'm really starting from almost nothing, hoping to spend a few weeks studying and be able to pass the test.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I ordered a kit from a lady on ebay who (I think) teaches a PTCB prep class at her local community college. Cost less than $100 shipped, came with some DVD's, and like 3 workbooks. Worked for me.

Lots of people swear by the Mosby or Delmar books, as well.

www.techlectures.com has some excellent resources, included a book/cd package that is like $70. You can even order it on amazon.

I wouldn't stress over the test too much, I studied the night before and passed with no previous experience or classes related to pharm. tech. I used the mosby's book, which is available on amazon here for around 40 bucks http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Pharma...2041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290890624&sr=8-1

I focused on the abbreviations for methods of administration and prescriptions. The abbreviations of prescriptions were especially important for calculating dosages, which makes up a big portion of the exam. With the little time I had, I read over the laws and answered the practice questions in the book. Instead of memorizing the 200 generic drug names I memorized the prefixes and suffixes from Mosby's appendix.

Hope this helps. Good luck!