Public peer review for BMJ worth it for residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docren004

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got invited to peer review a manuscript for the BMJ (yes, the real, fancy, high-impact factor BMJ). Their peer review reports are publicly posted, so there would be evidence of it. I must admit I’m flattered, but practically speaking, would doing that be worth much of anything on a residency app, most likely to IM? I’ve got 7 first author publications, though none of them in anything high impact factor like the BMJ.

Also, they want it in two weeks, and I’m taking step 1 in 4 weeks. I’m already comfortably passing NBMEs, so I think I could do it if I wanted to take the time, but I’d still prefer to focus on studying, and I’m just not sure if it’s worth it to distract myself with doing the review.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is an academic institution and want to sell yourself as an applicant that's into research and academic medicine, it might be seen favorably. I don't think it will consume a great amount of your time either. If you're already passing comfortably for step 1, I doubt this small sidetrack will compromise passing

Reactions: 1 user
Do it, make your CV as strong as possible and dont have any regrets. Seems like you will do well on Step 1, it is now pass and fail so I am not sure if scores even matter much.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I played a lot of Call of Duty in medical school. i ended up publishing quite a number of things in residency and fellowships into Pubmed (not bench research or clinical trials though). therefore, your getting a head start for your future academic career is a sensible thing to do.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, don't do public reviews. Even with a polite and well justified review, you risk pissing off the wrong people. I've reviewed 100s of papers, but I always turn down public review requests for this reason.

Reactions: 1 users