Serving as a peer reviewer as a fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rd31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the benefits of doing this as a fellow? (Specifically if you are invited to peer review articles submitted to notable GI journals). Is it bad to say no once in awhile, or should we accept every invitation?

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on doing any academics in the future or submitting a manuscript of your own in the near term I would just scrape together a few minutes and do it

Reactions: 1 user
What are the benefits of doing this as a fellow? (Specifically if you are invited to peer review articles submitted to notable GI journals). Is it bad to say no once in awhile, or should we accept every invitation?
How many invitations are you getting? Like dozens a week? Or half a dozen a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
1 every other week on average
You personally? Or your mentor? Would your mentor do them if they didn't have you to do it for them? How happy do you have to keep your mentor?

I did this during my post-doc and learned, pretty quickly, that the more you say yes to doing this for journals, the more they'll send you. So I would say yes to a few, no to a few and see what happens.

1 every other week on average
If they are coming directly to you, feel free to decline them. The journals send out these invites like candy, most people decline. You do not want to become their GO TO person.

If the invites are coming to your attending and he/she is asking you to do it, i do not recommend declining. if you say you're too busy to do reviews, then your attending will decide you must too busy to scope with them too. ;) Just kidding, but I just think your attendings help u out if you learn endoscopy from them; likewise u should help them out by doing these small reviews. it doesnt take long.

Reactions: 1 users
You personally? Or your mentor? Would your mentor do them if they didn't have you to do it for them? How happy do you have to keep your mentor?

I did this during my post-doc and learned, pretty quickly, that the more you say yes to doing this for journals, the more they'll send you. So I would say yes to a few, no to a few and see what happens.
They're coming to me directly since I've published in these journals. But they're coming from a variety of different associate editors not just the same ones. I usually finish them in under 24 hours, which might be why they keep coming after me lol

I try to do the ones I feel comfortable doing and have a solid knowledge of.
Depending on the Journal and frequency and impact factor choose to do them, and add them to your pubon online profile if the option exists.