public perception and psychiatrists- how do we change this....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So far we have: let's turn psych into neurology. let's turn psych into derm. let's turn psych into FM. Clearly none of these ideas will work :p It's really kind of hilarious how this thread ended up.

What about urology? I have previously said on here that we should incorporate robotic surgery into our field. You can't tell me a robot couldn't do a pretty good mental status exam. Robots can incorporate statistical processing and really quickly decide about dispo. Yeah, if there's one thing I'd want automated in psychiatry, it would be dispo.

Computers can be really fine tuned to recognize facial expressions, and to pick up thought process patterns. Thought content has many yes/no questions, so that part's easy. I'm also sure the robot can be programmed to have a soothing, caring voice. They'll use lots of "summarizing" questions to show the patient they're listening and empathizing. The computer could then choose a medication. The best part is, you'd never have to worry about counter-transference.

This is my modest, but likely at least realistic answer: turn psych into rheum. Watch me, it's gonna happen: ketamine infusion is already here... it's only a matter of time....

A long time.

Members don't see this ad.

Can we just go back to ranking things? How about ranking residency programs by Billy Pilgrim ranking formula + hospital food / log [call schedule]?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we just go back to ranking things? How about ranking residency programs by Billy Pilgrim ranking formula + hospital food / log [call schedule]?

I have another proposed one
Penguin Scale

(Med Student Wet Dream)+Pre Med Shadow excitement-Actual Reality/ Resident happiness
+ Research Position Fractioned by Match list. Then Divide by six and add miles to the nearest major water body. Then you have your competitive index.

At the end of the day I think with all the problems we have this field is still the most engaging field in medicine. A lot of your patients, no matter how much money they have, are really desperate and it's up to YOU to inspire some hope and make their lives genuinely better, and you CAN!

Yes, this is my premise, too. Thank you for articulating it.

Good points.
Personally I dont care about the publics perception of psychiatry. Im fine the way it is,, and it isn't shouldnt be the reason to go into psychiatry or medicine in the first place

And for all the chronic pain patients out there, whether it's back pain or fibromyalgia, merging the fields at some level would allow for us to more directly address the psychiatric part of that. Right now, patients believe if they're sent to a psychiatrist that everyone thinks it's in their head, but if they see neuro, it's real, even when neuro is skeptical. There's probably a lot more that psych can do for these patients and could if the stigma wasn't there.

This x 1000. The public perception (shared by some docs) that pain is either "real" or ïn your head" is extremely harmful for management of chronic pain disorders. I'm only a med student, but I've already lost track of the number of times I've told patients that all pain is ""in your head"