Should I do this public health research to help my residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylafan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD/MPH student here with an opportunity to get involved in some public health research I'm really interested in, but I'm worried that it would be taking away from something else that would strengthen my residency app. Also, I'm applying for the 2025 match, so I don't know if I'll have something ready to put on ERAS in time.

My home program is my #1, and they know I am strongly interested. Other nearby programs with a mix of academic and community follow (will do 1 away). I know a language needed by my home institution. Faculty and residents seem to have a positive opinion of me: PD told me "Everyone here loves you.", APD said "Maybe you can take care of Patient X when you're a resident here." and gave me a glowing clerkship eval, another attending told my classmates "Ask (my name). They know everything.", one resident told me to "Stop being so ****ing perfect." Got a few honors (including psych). Been heavily involved in psych stuff for almost 10 years with leadership. Family history (but no personal history) of psych that has been a big part of my journey. I'll be able to write a passionate personal statement. Received some scholarships too.

Weaknesses are 23x STEP 2 and low research (a little bit in undergrad and med school, but no presentations, publications, abstracts etc.) No red flags.

Would welcome any thoughts. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like your odds are good at the home program. You mentioned that you want to do the research, what would you do instead if you don't do the research?

If the research is something you care about and you already have the PD and APD telling you they want you to match there (your #1) I'd say go for it!

Reactions: 1 user