public school vs private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texastaco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone has any opinions on the advantages of going to public DO school over a private? I'm accepted to CCOM/DMU but I'm considering if I should go to my UMDNJ interview (without considering cost...becuase I'm not a NJ resident).

I think I read on SDN that it's better to go to a state school for 3rd/4th year rotations because they have their own teaching hospitals...just hoping someone can confirm this :)

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone has any opinions on the advantages of going to public DO school over a private? I'm accepted to CCOM/DMU but I'm considering if I should go to my UMDNJ interview (without considering cost...becuase I'm not a NJ resident).

I think I read on SDN that it's better to go to a state school for 3rd/4th year rotations because they have their own teaching hospitals...just hoping someone can confirm this :)

THANKS!

Some private schools are affiliated with teaching hospitals. Nova, for instance.

THANKS!

Well..I can think of three things.

1. When I interviewed there, the interviewer (who himself was out-of-state) said that it was relatively easy to become an in-state resident after your first year. Your tuition then drops from 50K -> 30K, which is really cheap.

2. UMDNJ has two MD schools as well, so it should help with people recognizing which school you went to.

3. If you're into big-time research, then UMDNJ is a good place. Their NIH funding dwarfs many of the other DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a nj resident who was rejected last year and kind of regrets not applying this year. If you have an interview there, go. What the OP said about getting IS tuition after year one is valid. ALTHOUGH I have not been accepted and never visited dmu or ccom I can safely say that umdnj is an excellent school. Very close nit and the faculty will treat you very well. Reason I'm saying this is, you never know. You might go there and end up liking it better

UMDNJ is one of the top DO schools, and it IS THE top in terms of research.

Fantastic school with fantastic connections.

UMDNJ som is a great school. However, if you want to specialize CCOM and DMU seem to have the most people matching into really competitive specialties. CCOM and DMU also tend to have the highest numbers in terms of GPA and MCAT for DO schools, so they could be considered more prestigious. If you want to do any kind of surgery, I think DMU is the THE BEST DO school. They have state of the art training equipment, and I hear the surgeons comming out of DMU are usually ahead of their peers.