Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imapa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Public Service Loan Forgiveness has been addressed here, but I'm wondering if anyone shares my thoughts. Most people here seem to think that PSLF is only for government or public sector jobs. While those job qualify, there are exceptions listed. Private practice is listed as a qualifying job if it is a 501(c)(3). A private practice job can qualify even if the organization isn't a 501(c)(3), if they are non-profit (or not for profit) and there's a qualifying service, such as emergency services, family services or public health.

Most medical private practices would qualify as not-for-profit because the owners don't own stock in their company and aren't benefiting from investors. I think you could argue that any medical practice offers either emergency services, family services, or public health services, but these services haven't been well defined by the government yet.

Does anyone share my thoughts on this matter? Has anyone had any luck trying to clarify if their job qualifies?

Members don't see this ad.