Public Speaking Fear & Tongue Tied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmalti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just posted this in the premed section, though I think this is a more appropriate place to ask this. Sorry I'm now to this forum.

Ok, here's my problem, and I hope someone can shine some light into it. I thought I conquerred my public speaking fear, but just a couple of days ago where I had to give a 30min presentation...I noticed that I didn't change much. I kept on telling myself that there's nothing to fear, but it never work. I prepared for my presentation three days before and wrote out my script; gone over it many times. I rehearshed it w/ my gf and some of close friends couple of times...and I was fine. However, when I was up there in my class, abeit the small size (only around 11-12 ppl), I just couldn't think straight and I got tongue tied. That's actually the worst part, I wasn't extremely nervous, but the inability to pronounce certain words or start a sentence scared me. I admit, I have a very mild case of stuttering, adding to the pressure of public speaking, it was extremely hard for me to pronounce words..even though the words were infront of me, on my script. I'm not sure what my brain was doing to me when I practice vs the real thing. I want to conquer this fear and able to speak in front of large audience, because I know that I need to skill to get far in life...especially for medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.