Public speaking pre-req waived for 3rd year teacher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pumpkinsmom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I know that I will need to check with individual schools regardless to confirm one way or the other, but I just wanted to get some feedback on whether waiving a pre-req like public speaking is ever done by any vet schools...

I have a master's in educ. and a high school teaching credential in Bio and Chem. I'm now in my 3rd year teaching full-time. I've never been in a situation when I would have been required to take a public speaking class in the past, until now, as a pre-req for some vet schools.

Does anyone think there is a chance that I could get this pre-req waived due to my career experience (I public speak all day long!)? Thanks for your input.
 
I am in a similar situation, my bachelors degree is in music education and I never had to take public speaking. I never taught other than my student teaching though. The only school I applied to that required public speaking was Mississippi State and they granted me an interview. I didn't even call and ask them, I just put down my student teaching class as my public speaking requirement in their supplemental app. I really should have called and asked before sending in my supplemental, but I decided to apply there late in the game and just got the app in before the deadline. So, in my limited experience, yes, they do waive public speaking pre-reqs.
 
Just like you said, you'd have to ask. Some schools waive things much easier than others. Do all schools even require it? The worst that could happen is you having to complete a simple public speaking class. :shrug:
Sounds like you might have a decent shot at having it waived but there's just no way to know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm slightly surprised that public speaking isn't required for an education major...
Anyways like Emiloo said, I would check with the school in question. For some reason I was thinking public speaking fell under just the liberal arts required hours?
 
So I apologize up front because this might be highjacking a bit! But along the same line of thinking here. . .Do the schools tell you if you are missing something or is this totally up to us to double-recheck? I checked out my classes with the school's listed prereqs before I applied but in my acceptance letter it has some broad statement about making sure all prereqs are fullfilled etc. Or was this for those who were just finishing classes?
Will most likely call but just curious about your experiences.
 
So I apologize up front because this might be highjacking a bit! But along the same line of thinking here. . .Do the schools tell you if you are missing something or is this totally up to us to double-recheck? I checked out my classes with the school's listed prereqs before I applied but in my acceptance letter it has some broad statement about making sure all prereqs are fullfilled etc. Or was this for those who were just finishing classes?
Will most likely call but just curious about your experiences.

Again depends on the school. I called KSU asking about that and they said its up to me to make sure everything is completed bc they have too many apps to figure that out. But if you call to make sure they'd probably look it over with you and let you know.
If you are straight up missing something and don't have it in your app as a fall or spring class you're taking, they can toss your app in the beginning.
 
Sometimes, the school will tell you via a rejection letter 🙄

That's what I was thinking...why would I have been interviewed and accepted if I was missing a pre-req(s)?! I did a file review with them before I even applied and they said it looked good, but maybe they missed something. That would suck..."you've been accepted...oh, no wait...just kidding"
 
Every school I contacted was unwilling to waive it. Even though I had a job that required extensive communication with clients, as well as experience with public speaking in various venues, they would not budge. They did, however accept an " interpersonal communications" course that I took online. It was super easy to do in the evening without too much head ache.
 
I also have to take public speaking even though my job involves constant communication (and has done for several years). I'm enrolled this semester at a cc near me. It is a hybrid class so we only meet 5 times in person to deliver speeches (the rest is all online). The best thing to do is to contact each school that has the requirement and see if they make exceptions.
 
To echo what others said, you'd have to check with individual schools. Texas A&M waived public speaking (they required a very specific course) for me due to my MS in Epidemiology. I had to send a lot of syllabi to prove projects and conferences, etc. I will say that for A&M, they won't take an online public speaking course. That was going to be my initial route. 🙄
 
Okay thanks everybody for your feedback!

So the consensus seems to be... 1) Of course ask each school, 2) in most situations they will not waive the public speaking pre-req for experience, 3) but they might accept a student teaching class for the pre-req. That's interesting, I never thought of using my student teaching classes!
 
That's what I was thinking...why would I have been interviewed and accepted if I was missing a pre-req(s)?! I did a file review with them before I even applied and they said it looked good, but maybe they missed something. That would suck..."you've been accepted...oh, no wait...just kidding"

Sometimes it's just a general statement since they don't typically personalize the acceptance letter except for your name.
 
Western and Kansas did NOT accept my research presentation class as a "public speech" pre-req, even though we presented to several universities throughout the country for almost a year. I feel as if the schools make it a consise requirement across the board, as in, if they let one person's pre-req count, they would have to let everyones. Its probably just easier to require the same class across the board.