Publication Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-spring

Reaction score
So, recently one of the papers that I'm a co-author on got accepted for publication and it's already online with the DOI number and everything. I was planning on updating schools about the accepted publication, but I'm not sure how comprehensive the update should be. I already sent an update to schools late November, in which I talked about the updates to my application and also mentioned my interest in the school, it was basically page long update and interest letter. I didn't mention anything about this publication since I didn't expect it to get accepted so fast. So, now that I'm sending another update to the schools about the publication, I'm wondering what all I should include in it and how comprehensive it should be.

1) Should I keep it really short and just say something along the lines of, 'Dear Admissions Committee, I am writing to let you know about a paper that I'm a coauthor on has recently been accepted for publication'. Then, a sentence or two about the paper and the project and a concluding sentence on my research interest and how I would like to continue it in their school. The whole thing will probably be a short paragraph of six to seven lines.

2) Or should I be more detailed and talk more about the project and also have another paragraph expressing my interest in their school once again like a short 'why school essay'.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have already sent updates, go short and concise (#1).
Okay great! In the last update I sent, I had a short paragraph talking about why I wanted to go to that school. Should I reiterate it a bit in this update, or just be direct and only talk about the publication?

Unless the school is explicit that it wants constant love from you, I'd make sure I keep the focus on the right things. I think the publication is the more important thing you are bringing up, so if you need to reiterate why you want to go to the school again, keep it very short there so you don't dilute your intended message.

Reactions: 1 user