Publication without Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fflewddur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to publish my results from my undergraduate thesis, but I don't have an appropriate mentor in my current job to guide me through the process. Just for argument's sake let's say that the results are publishable if the paper is written well and submitted to an appropriate journal. Any ideas on how to get through submission alone without having ever submitted before? I'm looking for a social psych journal as my thesis was on replicating and extending Clark & Clark's 1950 study that contributed to the Brown vs. Board of Education case. Any suggestions? As it is my first attempt at publication I'm not looking for a highly regarded journal, but I think having my name on a paper would help tremendously with grad apps. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to publish my results from my undergraduate thesis, but I don't have an appropriate mentor in my current job to guide me through the process. Just for argument's sake let's say that the results are publishable if the paper is written well and submitted to an appropriate journal. Any ideas on how to get through submission alone without having ever submitted before? I'm looking for a social psych journal as my thesis was on replicating and extending Clark & Clark's 1950 study that contributed to the Brown vs. Board of Education case. Any suggestions? As it is my first attempt at publication I'm not looking for a highly regarded journal, but I think having my name on a paper would help tremendously with grad apps. Thanks for reading.
Is there a professor from your undergrad institution who could help you out? Most of my communication with my current co-author/collaborator happens via e-mail, and it works quite well. (The "change" and "comment" functions in Microsoft Word are very helpful here.) The APA style manual also has a HUGE amount of useful information on how to organize a manuscript, the submission process, and so on.

Some universities have their own publications--a student journal where article/manuscript submissions are formally refereed by faculty members from the appropriate discipline/department. At my school, there is a contact in the graduate college and the president of the student graduate association.

Although not a publication, presenting the results at a local or regional conference would give you additional credits/vitae enhancement.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing systematic that would prevent your publishing that work. However, mentorship is prettymuch essential to the process of research and producing publishable research without an experienced mentor would be difficult (not impossible).

There's nothing systematic that would prevent your publishing that work. However, mentorship is pretty much essential to the process of research and producing publishable research without an experienced mentor would be difficult (not impossible).
Agreed. There is definitely a style to it...if not an art.

Totally off topic, but is your screen name a reference to Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles? If so, well played. I loved those books growing up.

Yeah! I named my dog Fflewddur when I was 8 as a result of reading those books. It's just a weird name that I find it easy to remember- and I figured no one else was going to use it.

reading the APA publication style manual (6th edition now?) would help. i agree with those who've suggested you find a prof to help you.

If you are currently a graduate student you might consider submitting your manuscript to the New School Psychology Bulletin (nspb.net). I'm on the editorial review board there and we do our best to provide constructive rather than caustic feedback on the manuscripts we review. It's a nice way to get a first round of objective input on your work.

Consider contacting the editors of a few journals you'd like to target, and be upfront wtih them about your situation and what you have so far, and that you plan on seeing this through.

I got published in my undergrad. I contacted the editor of the journal I was aiming for before I submitted, and asked if they'd be interested in my end product. He expressed interest, and was incredibly generous with his time and feedback. I had no faculty advisor through the process.

A lot would rest on how you write that first email.

Why don't you contact your thesis adviser from your undergrad institution? While s/he certainly isn't *required* to help you, if you had a good relationship then there's no harm in asking.

I strongly second this. Even with a mentor I've found it immensely helpful to contact editors of journals you're interested in to get your feelers out and see if they would consider publishing your study. It sucks to go through the tedious process of editing a manuscript to fit the formatting of a journal, write cover letters, submit and wait, only to find out they would have never been interested in publishing your manuscript to begin with.

And, as others said, if at all possible, find a mentor... even if it's only over phone/email.

Consider contacting the editors of a few journals you'd like to target, and be upfront wtih them about your situation and what you have so far, and that you plan on seeing this through.

I got published in my undergrad. I contacted the editor of the journal I was aiming for before I submitted, and asked if they'd be interested in my end product. He expressed interest, and was incredibly generous with his time and feedback. I had no faculty advisor through the process.

A lot would rest on how you write that first email.