Publications during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neha4000

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most medical students have co-authored publications in clinical journals? I wasn't sure if getting published in med school occurs often or not.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how it is across the board, but probably only one-fourth to one-third of my class is published (if the number is even *that* high). I guess it all depends on one's interest in research and his/her professional goals...i.e., it might help to have but for many non-research intensive programs, it appears that doing without is fine as well.

I'd recommend it if you're considering a competitive residency. I happen to like research, but also wanted to bolster my not-exactly-stellar CV, so I worked on two projects the summer after first year, and have been working on another two since then. I think it all comes down to finding a project that you like, with an advisor you admire and respect...then it can be very enjoyable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neha4000 said:
Do most medical students have co-authored publications in clinical journals? I wasn't sure if getting published in med school occurs often or not.

Thanks

Sometimes I think I go to medical school on a different planet than many of the posters on this forum. I think a medical student co-authoring or authoring an article in a clinical journal must be as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

My advice is to meet with a chair of a department and get started on some type of project that is easy to get published. Maybe do a paper with a buddy to cut the work in half and then take turns being first author.

Here is one of the papers i wrote w a friend of mine back in march as a first year:

http://www.anesthesiologynews.com/articles/7608/pdf/7608.pdf?CFID=267153&CFTOKEN=30403289

I am gonna resubmit this paper to a dermatology journal in a few months

holler at yo boy

Panda Bear said:
Sometimes I think I go to medical school on a different planet than many of the posters on this forum. I think a medical student co-authoring or authoring an article in a clinical journal must be as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.
I agree. It happenes occasionally but they are usually small scale studies that the student has participated in during an intercalated degree (here in UK some undergraduate med students take a "year out" of med school to study for a BSc).

I certainly can't imagine a students name appearing on a large clinical trial paper!

Blade28 said:
I'd recommend it if you're considering a competitive residency. I happen to like research, but also wanted to bolster my not-exactly-stellar CV, so I worked on two projects the summer after first year, and have been working on another two since then. I think it all comes down to finding a project that you like, with an advisor you admire and respect...then it can be very enjoyable.

Ditto this. I was published before med school, and I'm seriously considering getting an MPH and continuing research after I graduate. I'm not into basic science research, but I really enjoy clinical studies. There's nothing to write home about on my CV, the field I want to go into is becoming more and more competitive, and I have the opportunity to work on 2 studies in that field this summer (and get paid! yippee!), so I'm doing the research. I really like it.

Sweet Tea said:
Ditto this. I was published before med school, and I'm seriously considering getting an MPH and continuing research after I graduate. I'm not into basic science research, but I really enjoy clinical studies. There's nothing to write home about on my CV, the field I want to go into is becoming more and more competitive, and I have the opportunity to work on 2 studies in that field this summer (and get paid! yippee!), so I'm doing the research. I really like it.

Exactly, I feel the same way (minus the part about getting an MPH!). I'm actually starting to get interested in true academic medicine.

BTW, awesome avatar! Boo! :)

Depends on the school...some schools have dedicated research time with graduation requirement of preparing a publishable manuscript. At our school more than 80% are published by the time they graduate.

Well I thought I may add my two cents for the OP

Well I think research is important IF you are applying for a competetive program; however, this goal is not solidifed until the terminal part of one's academic career. Therefore, I think it is important to do research early on; it cannot hurt you by any means. I think it is also very important and helpful when you do research at well renowned places so you get to meet some of the top dawgs in thaat field. The relationship and mentorship you gain is invaluable--followed by a LOR. If you co-author it is awesome, but even if you do not get authorship, just having that experience and something to talk about in your interviews is above and beyond the "typical" med student. It sets you apart.

I do not go to a stellar medical school as I am in one of those 6 year med programs. I am currently doing some CT surgery research at UPENN--it is amazing to meet some of the most world renowned faculty in that department. Additioanlly, the place is amazing and the experience is great. Unfortunately a summer or couple months is not long enough to do something credible; therefore, people like to stick around in their parent school. However, I feel any experience and relationship you can make with a well known and internationally recognized person in that field is invaluable--just unbeeivable. Plus, all of a sudden it's inspired me to get into academic medicine, because I see the referrals from across the country taht the dept receives along with a very powerful feeling of competency and gratification--which amongst all thigns is most important. Anyhow, I highyl reccommend research--if you don't like it, don't pursue--but if you haven't tried it, definately worth the experience and the mentorship you create as an adjunct. Good luck!

Kev (UK) said:
I agree. It happenes occasionally but they are usually small scale studies that the student has participated in during an intercalated degree (here in UK some undergraduate med students take a "year out" of med school to study for a BSc).

I certainly can't imagine a students name appearing on a large clinical trial paper!

Can you explain to me, if you have the inclination, how medical school works in the UK? Most American medical students already have a Bachelors degree when they matriculate. Also, what is an "undergraduate medical student."

Just curious and I'm not going to lambast, flame, or otherwise harrass you.

mpp said:
Depends on the school...some schools have dedicated research time with graduation requirement of preparing a publishable manuscript. At our school more than 80% are published by the time they graduate.

Jeeze. No offense but I'm glad I don't got to your medical school. I would rather have a red-hot, salt encrusted poker shoved up my rectum then do research.

mpp said:
shoot, the competition is always getting stiffer... looks like since I have no publications coming out of this summer's work, I'll have to try to hop on board during 2nd or 3rd year. Is this even realistic?!? :(

Panda Bear said:
Can you explain to me, if you have the inclination, how medical school works in the UK? Most American medical students already have a Bachelors degree when they matriculate. Also, what is an "undergraduate medical student."

Just curious and I'm not going to lambast, flame, or otherwise harrass you.
No worries- it takes a lot to harrass me :D

The majority of medical students in the UK start their medical degree straight after finishing school at 18, so most qualify as doctors at the age of 23/24. They do an undergraduate medical degree over five years and gain an MB ChB or MB BS. They are therefore all "undergraduate medical students" as they are studying for their first degree. Some extend the course to 6 years and take time out to do a bioscience degree in the middle. At some schools this is mandatory, at some an option.

Some medical students follow the same programme after having already taken a BSc or BA in another subject. They are therefore "graduate medical students". Also some medical degrees are specifically for graduates (usually bioscience/ health science graduates) and these course are shorter (4 years) but we still get the same degrees.

MD in Europe is a postgraduate degree gained by research.

Hope that makes some sense!