Publications - How do I find good research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterbuffalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, my undergraduate university is cutting back on funding for research! I have looked online for a few days for applications to fellowships and grants/scholarships to do research. It's been difficult finding a good opportunity . How did you guys do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, my undergraduate university is cutting back on funding for research! I have looked online for a few days for applications to fellowships and grants/scholarships to do research. It's been difficult finding a good opportunity . How did you guys do it?

The best way to do it undergrad would be to really get to know a professor you have who you're intrested in doing research for all semester, and toward the end of the course, ask them if they're taking anybody on for a summer project. Getting a publication via undergrad research is rare, somewhat overrated, and usually not at all as big a deal as the published makes it sound (they'll admit to this).

If that fails, I'd harass the biology department of your school and find any research summer project you can.

Once you've worked for a prof during the summer, they're normally happy to have you in their lab several hours a week during the school year.