Publications on AMCAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathophys17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have 2 pubs-one that has been accepted preliminarily for publication, and one that is going to be submitted. I am second author on the first, and an author (not a high priority number though) on the second. My mentor said to list these under "Publications" on AMCAS, but what would I put for the pub date?

Members don't see this ad.

The accepted one you can try to guess a publication month based on how long it takes from acceptance to publication in other articles from that journal. The to be submitted one just leave off, as its not a publication until its accepted.

For the accepted one, put a DOI number instead of publication date. If it has been accepted and ready for press in the near future it will have a DOI.

For the "to be submitted" you cannot put a publication date. Doesn't count.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so it won't let you enter anything at a future date. I tried putting the expected pub date, but it won't let me enter the activity. How is everyone always listing pending pubs and activities that are starting later in the summer or whatever?

Another possibility is that you list your research experiences (using the "Research" category as opposed to the "Publication" one) on the activity section instead and mention/cite your publications under the appropriate research experiences. This way, you can simply say in the description section that you've submitted a paper but it hasn't been accepted yet...blahblah.. So, no need for a publication date this way.

leave the date blank. Where you would put the publication date, just write "in press".

sorry to super bump this from the dead...

but on the AMCAS, it insists you enter a month and date for publications.

Additionally, I have 1 manuscript in submission and 2 in prep...so I was considering not using the 'publications' category to just discuss these three. Would this be more worthwhile?

sorry to super bump this from the dead...

but on the AMCAS, it insists you enter a month and date for publications.

Additionally, I have 1 manuscript in submission and 2 in prep...so I was considering not using the 'publications' category to just discuss these three. Would this be more worthwhile?
If none of them have been accepted that makes 0 publications. You can mention about them where you talk about your research.

Reactions: 1 user
If none of them have been accepted that makes 0 publications. You can mention about them where you talk about your research.

womp, ok, makes sense.

So should I be sending update letters as things get accepted or published? Would 3 update letters be too much?

Even for 3 of them?

It depends on the timing. I would send an update when the paper you already submitted gets accepted. If you end up getting the other 2 accepted down the road, you could mention them both in 1 update.

Reactions: 1 user