Publications... question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick question for anyone who's been involved in research and has been published or acknowledged...

I have been acknowledged or mentioned in a number of publications (some in peer review journals, others in less formal dental-related publications) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to if/when I should show them (the hard copies) to schools. I am applying for 2010 and was debating if (after sending in my apps) I could send one or two to the schools with a letter explaining what I contributed, or perhaps as part of a portfolio brought to my interview? Do people do that? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I cited it in my AADSAS application and I briefly described and cited it in my personal statement. I didn't give anyone a hard copy. I figured if they were interested they could look it up.

I interviewed at USC, Tufts, and UNLV and none of them asked any in depth questions about my 4 years of research btw. I was kinda surprised... UNLV asked a brief question, but we somehow got off track and I never really described my research.

I cited it in my AADSAS application and I briefly described and cited it in my personal statement. I didn't give anyone a hard copy. I figured if they were interested they could look it up.

I did the same. I had hard copies with me on interviews if questioned. The only question I was asked about my research was ethical. The interviewer wanted to know what process I went through and how I felt performing surgical procedures on mice...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same. I had hard copies with me on interviews if questioned. The only question I was asked about my research was ethical. The interviewer wanted to know what process I went through and how I felt performing surgical procedures on mice...

heh.. I work with fruit flies; I guess no one cares about them ethically :p

I brought a copy of my abstract and a summary of my research to each interview. After my interview I gave the intervewer my research and he said he would be happy to read it and he added it to my file.

A quick question for anyone who's been involved in research and has been published or acknowledged...

I have been acknowledged or mentioned in a number of publications (some in peer review journals, others in less formal dental-related publications) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to if/when I should show them (the hard copies) to schools. I am applying for 2010 and was debating if (after sending in my apps) I could send one or two to the schools with a letter explaining what I contributed, or perhaps as part of a portfolio brought to my interview? Do people do that? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

Just like someone else said... list it on your AADSAS application, but beyond that, I wouldn't go as far as to send in copies of the publications soon after submitting your AADSAS app; it'd be jumping the gun a little IMO.

During the initial screening rounds (to see who should get interviews), schools will mainly be looking at GPA and DAT scores; I don't think that publications carry much weight until after the interview when they look at your application in full. Unless, of course, you're aiming for Harvard, in which case I don't see that publications will be of great significance to them unless you're a first author.

Bringing a copy of the papers and/or a research summary to interviews like Klutzy did is a good idea (I did too), but I had fairly extensive research experience (2nd author publication, multiple publication acknowledgements, multiple conference abstracts, Honors Thesis, etc.) and not a single one of my interviewers even brought up my research experiences... wait, maybe at Penn he did... can't remember :)

i listed my publications on my app. i brought abstracts to interviews, no hard copies of the actual papers to hand out. i think i included a copy with one of my secondaries (they asked for it). i was asked about my research in a few interviews, not to much extent though.

Thanks everyone - really appreciate your help! :)