1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Publications... question!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dent44, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Dent44

7+ Year Member

A quick question for anyone who's been involved in research and has been published or acknowledged...

I have been acknowledged or mentioned in a number of publications (some in peer review journals, others in less formal dental-related publications) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to if/when I should show them (the hard copies) to schools. I am applying for 2010 and was debating if (after sending in my apps) I could send one or two to the schools with a letter explaining what I contributed, or perhaps as part of a portfolio brought to my interview? Do people do that? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I cited it in my AADSAS application and I briefly described and cited it in my personal statement. I didn't give anyone a hard copy. I figured if they were interested they could look it up.

I interviewed at USC, Tufts, and UNLV and none of them asked any in depth questions about my 4 years of research btw. I was kinda surprised... UNLV asked a brief question, but we somehow got off track and I never really described my research.

4. Simiam

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did the same. I had hard copies with me on interviews if questioned. The only question I was asked about my research was ethical. The interviewer wanted to know what process I went through and how I felt performing surgical procedures on mice...

5. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    heh.. I work with fruit flies; I guess no one cares about them ethically :p

6. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I brought a copy of my abstract and a summary of my research to each interview. After my interview I gave the intervewer my research and he said he would be happy to read it and he added it to my file.

7. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Just like someone else said... list it on your AADSAS application, but beyond that, I wouldn't go as far as to send in copies of the publications soon after submitting your AADSAS app; it'd be jumping the gun a little IMO.

During the initial screening rounds (to see who should get interviews), schools will mainly be looking at GPA and DAT scores; I don't think that publications carry much weight until after the interview when they look at your application in full. Unless, of course, you're aiming for Harvard, in which case I don't see that publications will be of great significance to them unless you're a first author.

Bringing a copy of the papers and/or a research summary to interviews like Klutzy did is a good idea (I did too), but I had fairly extensive research experience (2nd author publication, multiple publication acknowledgements, multiple conference abstracts, Honors Thesis, etc.) and not a single one of my interviewers even brought up my research experiences... wait, maybe at Penn he did... can't remember :)

8. dr bojangles

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i listed my publications on my app. i brought abstracts to interviews, no hard copies of the actual papers to hand out. i think i included a copy with one of my secondaries (they asked for it). i was asked about my research in a few interviews, not to much extent though.

9. Dent44

7+ Year Member

Thanks everyone - really appreciate your help! :)