Publications to help strenghten one's CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question. How many publications is considered to be optimal when applying for cardio?

I'll have hopefully 2 research projects ready by the time the match opens.

I also have several case reports waiting for publication, but case reports are really difficult to publish in a major cardiology journal - will publishing them in a low-tier journal still help?

Best to all,

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a research-oriented fellowship (or research track), the more publications the better. A track record as a resident demonstrates you will continue to produce as a fellow.

Yes - publishing in a lower tier journal is fine as long as it is not a "predatory" or pay-for-publish type of journal.

Some degree of scholarship is necessary for any cardiology fellowship. I think having a project or two is good. Having publications is the best possible thing as it shows you can take something from conception to an actual published manuscript. Try to present abstracts or cases at national conferences -ACC, AHA, SCAI, TCT etc. - as it will look good on your resume and can help with networking and such (to a lesser extent).

Unfortunately even if you plan a purely clinical career path with no plan for research, this is a necessity for matching a good cardiology fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to steal the thread but I have a follow-up question. I am IM intern at a reputable program on the east coast aiming for card fellowship. I have a couple case reports in the pipeline and got started working with some of the faculty here as well. I will most likely get 2nd author or 3rd author on the project I am involved with. I guess my question is it better to have 3 or 4 publications as a 2nd/3rd author or have 1 publication as the first author?

I have a follow-up question as well! While my program is strong for the most part (reputable mid-tier university, good academics, etc.), I have always found it really difficult to break into research here. Ours is not a school that prioritizes publication, so as a result there aren't many good projects available and attendings won't help much even when asked. How can I go about finding the scholarship opportunities I need for fellowships in this type of setting? Not trying to sound whiny or anything, just want to figure out how to get started basically from scratch! :)

I don't mean to steal the thread but I have a follow-up question. I am IM intern at a reputable program on the east coast aiming for card fellowship. I have a couple case reports in the pipeline and got started working with some of the faculty here as well. I will most likely get 2nd author or 3rd author on the project I am involved with. I guess my question is it better to have 3 or 4 publications as a 2nd/3rd author or have 1 publication as the first author?

Ideally first author, but a few middle author publications is better than none.