Is there any point in taking the ABIM CV boards this year (2024)? What are fellowship programs recommending their senior fellows do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the consensus is in the cardiology fellowship/academic cardiology world regarding the ABIM CV Board (and the debacle that happened in 2023) and the prospect of the new Cardiovascular Medicine Board. The latter is supported by every cardiology society under the sun. Should fellows wait out until the CVM board debuts (probably in 2025, if we are optimistic) or should they still sit for that BS ABIM exam?

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, ABIM will continue to provide the initial board certification and administer the board exam. ACC is supposed to take over the maintenance of board certification. I did not think from reading everything that the ACC plans to take over the initial certification or administer the initial board exam. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Reactions: 1 user
On their website they have a video where they talk about plans for an initial board exam. Reportedly ABMS only allows one ‘board’ to offer certification in each field. I would personally wait

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On their website they have a video where they talk about plans for an initial board exam. Reportedly ABMS only allows one ‘board’ to offer certification in each field. I would personally wait
On their website they have a video where they talk about plans for an initial board exam. Reportedly ABMS only allows one ‘board’ to offer certification in eac
Hey I sent you a message..

Yea I have been wondering about this as well. The abim exam itself is 2.5K so don't know if it's worth the price if we will have a separate board available. Most of the fellows in my class have signed up for the exam so I have the nagging feeling off wanting to get done with it.

I think its a question out of your hands. At least in my experience most jobs and subspecialty fellowships require you to take the test. If you plan on doing gen cards you may be limited in job opportunities as a result. I guess you would have to discuss this with your future employer if your plan is to wait especially as the exam is 1x per year.

I think its a question out of your hands. At least in my experience most jobs and subspecialty fellowships require you to take the test. If you plan on doing gen cards you may be limited in job opportunities as a result. I guess you would have to discuss this with your future employer if your plan is to wait especially as the exam is 1x per year.
Every contract you sign will say that you need to be BC within X years of starting. Mine was 3. I waited the full 3 years. Nobody cared.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s going to take years for another board to take over

Reactions: 1 users