Publications.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mannix, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Mannix

Mannix Junior Member

Is the amount of publications one gets based on the scientists willingness to get you in on the tail end of publications?

That may sound confusing, what I am trying to say is... Are there some scientists which will put you down as like the 4th author just to give you some publications and are there some that wont let you in on a publication unless you work your ass to the bone on it.

So some dude may have 14 pubs working for this one guy who puts people in on them like giving out candy while some guy might ave 2 pubs and work twice as hard.

Does this take place? Is what matters hard work doing research or which guy your researching with?

Sorry if this post is pretty unclear.

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The short answer to this is, "yes."

Some profs put everyone on the paper, no matter how insignificant the roll.

Some only put people who made significant contributions (albeit ranging from major ones to minor ones).

The most significant point is where on the publication you are... 1st author... it's all you
    2nd author... you've done some significant work
    xth author... you did some work; but it wasn;t really your project...

Now if your prof is old school, he may put himself as a first author; but most of this has changed as journals say that the contributing author must be listed last (or first for some journals)...

I hope this helps.

C

4. jot

jot

people understand this - even for mstp admissions. just be able to talk sensibly about a topic and you'll be fine. publications are icing on the cake. on the other hand - if you are first or second aithor - you better know it inside out or you're in trouble

5. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jot got it on the dot!

Sorry I had to phrase it like that...

But just know what you did. If you were an undergrad researcher and were a 3rd-xth author... be prepared to answer the questions of what you did and what the overall aim of the project was. If you were one of the first authors, know it inside out or face the consequences. And the icing on the cake would then be to say what YOU plan to do next given the results. Of course you have to be enthusiastic about what you did. If you are blase and uninterested, you probably would be better off not listing that you were invovled in research-- because it will look too much like you are just doing it (the research) so that you can say you did it and not because of your motivation in scientific discovery, etc...

C

6. jot

jot

hah - took me a while to figure out that it rhymed. i can always tell who has just seen my name on sdn when i meet them at interviews cause they say jot (rhyming with dot). shouldn't give it away (its a good clue) but the name is pronounced jothe;)

enjoy!

-jot[he]