• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar
Jul 9, 2011
Status
For those with publications, how much did you talk about them on your secondary essays? I definitely don't want to come across as arrogant, but I also so not want to under-sell myself. Of course, I have already mentioned them under the activities section of the AMCAS: is there any need to repeat?

Bforn

5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2010
PHX
Status
Medical Student
I didn't mention them specifically, but when asked about qualifications/interests/strengths I alluded to my background (lab experience, pubs, etc)

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
I think there's a few things you want to keep in mind when approaching this:
  • Did you already list it as one of your 3 most significant activities?
  • Does the school prompt for information related to this in another essay?
  • Is the school you're applying to a "research" heavy school?
  • Are you really answering the question as effectively as possible?

I don't know what you're saying that makes you worried you might sound arrogant, but if it fits I think it's fine to mention that you have a publication. Just know that they're going to be well aware of this from the Primary Application alone so don't make yourself sound one-dimensional.

About the Ads

theWUbear

EM PGY3
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did not mention being published in any of my secondaries. I had written publications in my amcas activities, mentioned my research in amcas activities, and mentioned my research again in my personal statement. I later wrote an update letter when I had updates in publications. I don't see a secondary question directly relating to this, unless you answer a question with your research experience, and use a sentence to note that you were published for that experience.

About the Ads