Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F22C1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those with publications, how much did you talk about them on your secondary essays? I definitely don't want to come across as arrogant, but I also so not want to under-sell myself. Of course, I have already mentioned them under the activities section of the AMCAS: is there any need to repeat?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't mention them specifically, but when asked about qualifications/interests/strengths I alluded to my background (lab experience, pubs, etc)

I think there's a few things you want to keep in mind when approaching this:
  • Did you already list it as one of your 3 most significant activities?
  • Does the school prompt for information related to this in another essay?
  • Is the school you're applying to a "research" heavy school?
  • Are you really answering the question as effectively as possible?

I don't know what you're saying that makes you worried you might sound arrogant, but if it fits I think it's fine to mention that you have a publication. Just know that they're going to be well aware of this from the Primary Application alone so don't make yourself sound one-dimensional.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not mention being published in any of my secondaries. I had written publications in my amcas activities, mentioned my research in amcas activities, and mentioned my research again in my personal statement. I later wrote an update letter when I had updates in publications. I don't see a secondary question directly relating to this, unless you answer a question with your research experience, and use a sentence to note that you were published for that experience.