1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Publications

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by F22C1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. F22C1

For those with publications, how much did you talk about them on your secondary essays? I definitely don't want to come across as arrogant, but I also so not want to under-sell myself. Of course, I have already mentioned them under the activities section of the AMCAS: is there any need to repeat?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bforn

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't mention them specifically, but when asked about qualifications/interests/strengths I alluded to my background (lab experience, pubs, etc)

4. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I think there's a few things you want to keep in mind when approaching this:
    • Did you already list it as one of your 3 most significant activities?
    • Does the school prompt for information related to this in another essay?
    • Is the school you're applying to a "research" heavy school?
    • Are you really answering the question as effectively as possible?

I don't know what you're saying that makes you worried you might sound arrogant, but if it fits I think it's fine to mention that you have a publication. Just know that they're going to be well aware of this from the Primary Application alone so don't make yourself sound one-dimensional.

5. theWUbear

theWUbear EM PGY1
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did not mention being published in any of my secondaries. I had written publications in my amcas activities, mentioned my research in amcas activities, and mentioned my research again in my personal statement. I later wrote an update letter when I had updates in publications. I don't see a secondary question directly relating to this, unless you answer a question with your research experience, and use a sentence to note that you were published for that experience.

6. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I threw in citations to publications at the end of one of the activity descriptions. You don't need to go on and on about them.

7. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    +1