Publishing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm just wondering how much being published can help getting into med school? I'm currently set up to be at least acknowledged in a book that my professor that is writing, i may get more acknowledgement(don't know what it is yet) as i did hte tables and paper..reading for it.

My second thing that i will be probably published as 1st author for a medical journal. I'm kinda excited about that as i'm still an undergrad. Personally i'm just happy since its a great accomplishment for me as a lowly undergrad ya know? I know there will be positive implications from that when i apply to medical school. I'm just wondering if anyone else had any experiences that....helped bump them into at least the interview stage.

I'm one of those..........."lower GPA's" Hard battle ahead so trying to collect all the advantages i can get now.

GPA will be in hte low 3's. My projection will be a 3.1. MCAT was a 28 i think, i'll take that baby again. I will shoot for something in a 30's. I know how it goes, so you worry about explaining to me that i'll need a high MCAT score :).

And i do not think i'll apply as an MD/Phd, at most just get an MPH.

Members don't see this ad.

Being published will help...but there are certainly plenty of other people out there who are published too applying for MD or MD/PhD (I think the first author paper is way more significant than the acknowledgement too). Having a publication does not make you a shoein. You definitely need to make sure the rest of your application is strong--bring up your grades, take classes post graduation if necessary, do well on MCAT etc.