Abstract published in supplemental section of “Circulation”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DevinBookerMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was submitted to AHA and later was published. How would I list this on ERAS/CV? Would it go under abstracts or publications?

Also, do you have to pick whether something is an abstract vs presentation? For instance, I had an abstract accepted at a conference which was also selected for a moderated presentation, would this count as both or only one?

What about other abstracts where it wasn’t moderated and you attended virtually, do those count as presentations or just abstracts? I want to ensure I am not double dipping. Ty!

Members don't see this ad.

First question, answer is abstract. Publication implies a full-length manuscript.

Second question, yes you have to pick between the two. It's all just one scientific output, so you should list it as a presentation not an abstract.

Assuming the third scenario was just you attending a virtual poster session and talking to anyone who popped into your room, it's likely a poster presentation or an abstract.

Reactions: 2 users
ERAS makes this far more complicated than it needs to be. On my actual CV, I have a section for 'abstracts and presentations', which I break into oral presentations and poster presentations. If the abstract is published in a journal later as a result of the submission, I add in the citation information as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Makes no difference. It’s nice to go for the exposure and networking but in terms of line on your cv doesnt matter

Reactions: 1 users
@GoSpursGo Can I do a poster with no images/tables/figures? The cool images for the case were done at an outside facility I don't have access to
I mean, you can. But a poster of text is not visually appealing and won't get much interest :shrug:

Put lab values in a table. Put a timeline. Put something other than text to grab someone's attention as they walk by.

Or don't. Most posters don't get much attention anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
@GoSpursGo Can I do a poster with no images/tables/figures? The cool images for the case were done at an outside facility I don't have access to
Sorry didn't reply earlier... agree with @mvenus929 , it's kind of worthless other than as a line on your CV to have just text. And you need to ensure you actually have permission to present the case.

• Love
@GoSpursGo I'm IM applying to a competitive fellowship

Thoughts on your CV being overwhelmingly filled with posters at IM conferences? I'll have about 15. I turned a couple of them into manuscripts, and a few are pending. I'm worried that too many posters will look like fluff. I've already presented separate projects at my specialty conferences. Basically trying to figure out if I should stop the "turn case report into poster/pub" game
How many actual pubs (articles) do you have?

Thoughts on your CV being overwhelmingly filled with posters at IM conferences? I'll have about 15. I turned a couple of them into manuscripts, and a few are pending. I'm worried that too many posters will look like fluff. I've already presented separate projects at my specialty conferences. Basically trying to figure out if I should stop the "turn case report into poster/pub" game
Are most of the posters case reports or are some of them actually research projects you did?

The only reason to keep submitting case reports is to get funding to go to a conference. If it doesn't yield anything else, it's not useful to your application (not saying it would hurt, but it won't help).

Agree with above, nothing wrong with some case reports but you need a least a couple of projects with actual substance