Pudendal nerve block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoloTomassi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give me a refresher on technique, pearls and pitfalls? It's been a while. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do yourself a favor and get this book.

That being said:
Use an ultrasound (Curvilinear usually preferred), place it over the ilium and move caudally along bone until ischial spine is identified. Find the sacrospinous ligament, sacrotuberous ligament, and internal pudendal artery. Nerve is between the two ligaments medial to artery. Hyperechoic. Use in-plane approach.

Reactions: 1 users
used to do with xray. touch needle tip on os at ischial spine then walk off medial and ventral a cm and inject. Just turned down the first case in years a couple weeks ago as those patients are a level of crazy I dont want to get sucked into anymore.

Obs will do a transvaginal block at fornix

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please give me a refresher on technique, pearls and pitfalls? It's been a while. Thanks.

I do enjoy NYSORA for their US imaging and guidance here

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all. I should've specified fluoro. Is the internal pudendal artery of concern with fluoro?

I use this approach, it’s quite easy, but honestly never had any success with this block for pelvic pain.
I use it more for vaginal pain. If pelvic I do superior hypogastric plexus. Perineal I will do ganglion impar. Sometimes I will combine them depending on pain distribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I use it more for vaginal pain. If pelvic I do superior hypogastric plexus. Perineal I will do ganglion impar. Sometimes I will combine them depending on pain distribution.
Superior hypogastric for “general pelvic pain” or more for cancer type pain? Is that considered a “sympathetic block” for billing? What level do u inject? Thanks in advance!

Superior hypogastric for “general pelvic pain” or more for cancer type pain? Is that considered a “sympathetic block” for billing? What level do u inject? Thanks in advance!
I do sympathetic block at L5 for chronic pelvic pain, endometriosis, etc.

I've had a few referrals for vaginal pain lately and did two blocks on one elderly patient. Her complaint was a bit strange (they all are). Burning pain in the vagina with prolonged sitting. But she sits a lot... hours and hours. So says her husband. She was about 50% better with one block, zero pain two weeks after block #2. Amazing.

I'll have to keep pulsed RF in my back pocket for these. Pasta Man, any particular settings you use?

Reactions: 1 user
I've had a few referrals for vaginal pain lately and did two blocks on one elderly patient. Her complaint was a bit strange (they all are). Burning pain in the vagina with prolonged sitting. But she sits a lot... hours and hours. So says her husband. She was about 50% better with one block, zero pain two weeks after block #2. Amazing.

I'll have to keep pulsed RF in my back pocket for these. Pasta Man, any particular settings you use?
Pulsed RFA was performed at a maximum temperature of 42 degrees C for 6 minutes utilizing pulse duration of 20 ms and pulse rate of 2 HZ. Voltage remained between 41-45V.

Pulsed RFA was performed at a maximum temperature of 42 degrees C for 6 minutes utilizing pulse duration of 20 ms and pulse rate of 2 HZ. Voltage remained between 41-45V.
How much do you charge do u do for this?

how did you decide on 6 minutes?

when i have pulsed nerves (not the pudendal), usually i do it timewise like RFA - 2 minutes. please post a study if you have one.