Puerto Rico Dental Class of 2030 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Started by Ryxndek
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ryxndek

D4 Minnesota
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Link to last year's thread: Puerto Rico Dental Class of 2029 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Link to interview prep: University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! 🙂

Link to school website: University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine

Class of 2024 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.33
DAT: 17.5AA, 17.8TS, 18.8PAT
Applied: 321
OOS: 230 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 4 Accepted
IS: 84 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 39 Accepted
International: 7 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 0 Accepted
# Enrolled: 40
Class of 2026 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.50
Science GPA: 3.34
DAT: 17.7AA, 18.1TS, 18.7PAT
Applied: 359
OOS: 263 Applied, 4 Accepted
IS: 87 Applied, 37 Accepted
International: 7 Applied, 0 Accepted
# Enrolled: 40
Class of 2028 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.39
DAT: 17.4AA, 17.6TS, 18.6PAT
Applied: 358
OOS: 235 Applied, 5 Accepted
IS: 111 Applied, 40 Accepted
International: 12 Applied, 1 Accepted
# Enrolled: 40

Good luck everyone!
 
Hi everyone! Here we go again! My name is Nicole and I'm 37 y/o. I lost count on how many times I've applied to this school before. I had an interview last year but got rejected for the 2029 class. Trying it again for the 2030 class. My stats are 3.40 GPA and DAT was 16 (it's low, so I'm retaking it). Posting here so I can keep my sanity with other during this application process! 😀
 
Hello everyone!
This is my first year applying to dental schools. I'm originally from Puerto Rico but currently living in Florida, and I still have strong ties to PR. I applied to UF, LECOM, NOVA, UPR, PHSU, and AGM.

My undergraduate GPA is on the lower side due to repeated science courses, but I’m currently completing a Master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences, where I have a 4.0 GPA with one semester left.

I took the DAT twice and on my second attempt I scored a 390 AA, 380 in Total Sciences, and 440 in PAT. I submitted my primary applications on August 15th and completed all secondary applications as soon as I received them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! My name is Jessica and this is my first cycle applying to dental shools as a non-traditional applicant. I was born in Cuba and am currenly residing in Florida. While I have no ties to PR, I would absolutely love to attend UPR to be among my native language as well as a culture more similar to my own. I have a 3.7 GPA, 420 AA, 430 Sciences, and 380 PAT. Does anyone know if they already started sending out interview invites?
 
Hey everyone! My name is Jessica and this is my first cycle applying to dental shools as a non-traditional applicant. I was born in Cuba and am currenly residing in Florida. While I have no ties to PR, I would absolutely love to attend UPR to be among my native language as well as a culture more similar to my own. I have a 3.7 GPA, 420 AA, 430 Sciences, and 380 PAT. Does anyone know if they already started sending out interview invites?
Hi, Jessica! I live in Florida as well but was born and raised in PR until I moved to FL in 2016 and been here since then. I have applied multiple times to this school, and never been able to get an acceptance, but I'm applying this year again, and you have impressive scores! This school does not send interview invites until after the deadline, which this year is earlier, November 3rd. Interviews will extend all the way into March 2026. I know people that got interviewed in late March and got accepted last year, so don't lose hope!
 
Hello everyone!
This is my first year applying to dental schools. I'm originally from Puerto Rico but currently living in Florida, and I still have strong ties to PR. I applied to UF, LECOM, NOVA, UPR, PHSU, and AGM.

My undergraduate GPA is on the lower side due to repeated science courses, but I’m currently completing a Master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences, where I have a 4.0 GPA with one semester left.

I took the DAT twice and on my second attempt I scored a 390 AA, 380 in Total Sciences, and 440 in PAT. I submitted my primary applications on August 15th and completed all secondary applications as soon as I received them.
Hi! This is so me! I was born and raised in PR until I was 28 and moved to Florida, and currently still in FL 🙂 I also still have strong ties to PR as well! I applied to UPR, UAGM, PHSU, Meharry Medical in TN, and UF. I've applied multiple times to this school and was told last year by admissions committee to retake O-Chem, which I got a C previously in my bachelor's. I applied last year with a 3.51 GPA, so hopefully re-taking this class this semester will bump up that GPA even more. I also did a master's and got 4.0, so that helps. I took the DAT multiple times 😩 and my last attempt was this past September, where I got 360 SNS, 390 RC and 420 PAT. Last year I got a 15 AA (old score), which got me an interview last year in UPR, but it was still way too low in comparison with other applicants. They requested a minimum of 360 SNS this year, so I barely made the cut. Sciences are not my strong, so hopefully by retaking this class and with this new score (17 AA on the old system) I can get a better chance. I haven't had any schools call me other than the ones in PR. PHSU has my application being verified, as well as UAGM. UPR already emailed me that they evaluated my application and it's about to go to the admissions committee; they are just waiting for me to finish this class and send my transcripts so I can be evaluated with a higher GPA. I think you will be fine with the 4.0 in your masters. UPR calculates GPA very differently than AADSAS does. AADSAS last year calculated my GPA as 2.70...UPR said I had 3.51 🤣 It's because AADSAS counts all your withdrawals, all F's and all bad grades, even if you retake the course, so it's really not fair if you think about it, so UPR really does the right thing in calculating only your higher grades in their requirements. This is nerve wracking! 😩
 
Hi, Jessica! I live in Florida as well but was born and raised in PR until I moved to FL in 2016 and been here since then. I have applied multiple times to this school, and never been able to get an acceptance, but I'm applying this year again, and you have impressive scores! This school does not send interview invites until after the deadline, which this year is earlier, November 3rd. Interviews will extend all the way into March 2026. I know people that got interviewed in late March and got accepted last year, so don't lose hope!
Best of luck this cycle, Nicole! Do you mind me asking what was the interview like last year and when you received your invite?
 
Best of luck this cycle, Nicole! Do you mind me asking what was the interview like last year and when you received your invite?
Interviews for this school are a breeze! It's very personal (at least for me it was). They want to know more about you as a person outside school and your extracurricular activities. I only had one health-related question about the most common causes of death in PR. I think because I don't live there, they want to make sure you are aware of what's going on in the country if you plan to study there. They really don't ask anything about your GPA or DAT scores. If you get to the interview phase, it means they already evaluated you positively and you are on the top 100 applicants. I received a call on December 10th last year, and my interview was January 15th, 2025.
 
Do you have the 12 credits in Spanish and supposedly needed? Is it true?
Yes, it's mandatory. You need to have a minimum of C on Spanish classes, and you need to be proficient in the language (write, speak, and talk). Books and study materials may be in English, but classes are fully in Spanish. Out of those 12 credits, 6 can be from AP courses. They may even ask questions in Spanish in your interview, just to prove that you know the language. Spanish is my first language, and I got questions in English in my interview, so you have to know both.
 
Hi! This is so me! I was born and raised in PR until I was 28 and moved to Florida, and currently still in FL 🙂 I also still have strong ties to PR as well! I applied to UPR, UAGM, PHSU, Meharry Medical in TN, and UF. I've applied multiple times to this school and was told last year by admissions committee to retake O-Chem, which I got a C previously in my bachelor's. I applied last year with a 3.51 GPA, so hopefully re-taking this class this semester will bump up that GPA even more. I also did a master's and got 4.0, so that helps. I took the DAT multiple times 😩 and my last attempt was this past September, where I got 360 SNS, 390 RC and 420 PAT. Last year I got a 15 AA (old score), which got me an interview last year in UPR, but it was still way too low in comparison with other applicants. They requested a minimum of 360 SNS this year, so I barely made the cut. Sciences are not my strong, so hopefully by retaking this class and with this new score (17 AA on the old system) I can get a better chance. I haven't had any schools call me other than the ones in PR. PHSU has my application being verified, as well as UAGM. UPR already emailed me that they evaluated my application and it's about to go to the admissions committee; they are just waiting for me to finish this class and send my transcripts so I can be evaluated with a higher GPA. I think you will be fine with the 4.0 in your masters. UPR calculates GPA very differently than AADSAS does. AADSAS last year calculated my GPA as 2.70...UPR said I had 3.51 🤣 It's because AADSAS counts all your withdrawals, all F's and all bad grades, even if you retake the course, so it's really not fair if you think about it, so UPR really does the right thing in calculating only your higher grades in their requirements. This is nerve wracking! 😩
UPR contacted me at the beginning of the month to let me know that they verified my application, but I was missing 6 Spanish credits. They asked me to send proof that I’ve registered for the course so they can forward my application to the admissions committee. I’ve already reapplied to one of the schools I previously attended and will register for the Spanish courses on November 1st. Hopefully, after that, they’ll transfer my application to the committee. Regarding the other schools, I’ve already sent my portfolio to AGM, and I’ve been in contact with Ponce. However, someone currently in their first year told me that Ponce usually takes a long time to send out interview invitations. I haven't received any invitations from FL schools just yet.
 
UPR contacted me at the beginning of the month to let me know that they verified my application, but I was missing 6 Spanish credits. They asked me to send proof that I’ve registered for the course so they can forward my application to the admissions committee. I’ve already reapplied to one of the schools I previously attended and will register for the Spanish courses on November 1st. Hopefully, after that, they’ll transfer my application to the committee. Regarding the other schools, I’ve already sent my portfolio to AGM, and I’ve been in contact with Ponce. However, someone currently in their first year told me that Ponce usually takes a long time to send out interview invitations. I haven't received any invitations from FL schools just yet.
Same here! I haven’t got any calls from any other school 😩 I’m on a work trip in TN this week and will be visiting Meharry Medical this Friday to tour the dental school. I applied in August and completed both AADSAS and their secondary application, so I’ll see what’s up and ask some questions lol 😬 Yes, I’ve also heard that Ponce takes a long time, so we shall see 🫤
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got interview form UNE and rejected from NOVA. On hold at Touro. Rejected from ASDOH , Midwester AZ, and pacific nw. Haven heard from the others. Won’t do anything with Ponce or UPR as I’m missing the Spanish credits and won’t do this cycle. Dat is 20AA BioMEd masters 3.87 200 hours shadow. 200 volunteering and 2000 as full time dental assistant. Fully bilingual with heavy roots in PR. Interested in UAGM. When do they start sending interviews?
When did u apply?
 
Got interview form UNE and rejected from NOVA. On hold at Touro. Rejected from ASDOH , Midwester AZ, and pacific nw. Haven heard from the others. Won’t do anything with Ponce or UPR as I’m missing the Spanish credits and won’t do this cycle. Dat is 20AA BioMEd masters 3.87 200 hours shadow. 200 volunteering and 2000 as full time dental assistant. Fully bilingual with heavy roots in PR. Interested in UAGM. When do they start sending interviews?
You have good stats! I believe they start sending interviews after the deadline is closed. The deadline is Dec 1st, so it should be shortly after that.
 
Have any of you guys received a confirmation email that your file is complete? They said we'd be hearing back before Nov 17 so I'm starting to worry a little.
 
Last edited:
Have any of you guys received a confirmation email that your file is complete? They said we'd be hearing back before Nov 17 so I'm starting to worry a little.
I did. One of the admissions officers emailed me a confirmation on October 15th to inform me that my file was complete.
 
Has anyone got an interview already? I'm not expecting a call anytime soon since I'm still finishing my fall semester for a class they recommended to retake, so my application is still on hold, but wanted to see if anyone got one already and how was it 🙂
 
Hello everyone. Yesterday, I received an email saying that my application was transferred to the admissions committee, and today I received a phone call to schedule an interview. This will be my first interview out of all the schools I applied to, and I’m very excited. Does anyone have suggestions from their own interview experience?
 
Hello everyone. Yesterday, I received an email saying that my application was transferred to the admissions committee, and today I received a phone call to schedule an interview. This will be my first interview out of all the schools I applied to, and I’m very excited. Does anyone have suggestions from their own interview experience?
OMG congrats! Is it this month, or next year? Did you ended up getting the Spanish credits you needed? My application is in hold because I’m about to take my last exam tomorrow for the O-Chem class I’m retaking so I wasn’t expecting any calls or emails until after this coming week. Hopefully they call me as well as soon as I submit my transcripts this coming week 🙏🏻

I’ve intervieved in this school before a couple of times. Suuuper laid back interview, easy going! Just be yourself! Make sure you review any important or relevant dental topics of interest for you, as well as healthcare issues in Puerto Rico, especially if don’t currently live in PR. Research some articles about the dental situation in PR and what could be a solution for it. I got a couple of questions about those topics, but nothing crazy.

Wishing you the best! 🙏🏻😬
 
OMG congrats! Is it this month, or next year? Did you ended up getting the Spanish credits you needed? My application is in hold because I’m about to take my last exam tomorrow for the O-Chem class I’m retaking so I wasn’t expecting any calls or emails until after this coming week. Hopefully they call me as well as soon as I submit my transcripts this coming week 🙏🏻

I’ve intervieved in this school before a couple of times. Suuuper laid back interview, easy going! Just be yourself! Make sure you review any important or relevant dental topics of interest for you, as well as healthcare issues in Puerto Rico, especially if don’t currently live in PR. Research some articles about the dental situation in PR and what could be a solution for it. I got a couple of questions about those topics, but nothing crazy.

Wishing you the best! 🙏🏻😬
Thank you! My interview is scheduled for the following week. Yes, I registered for both classes for the spring semester. The college also offered an eight-week section, which will allow me to take both courses in eight-week sessions and complete them by the beginning of May.
 
Thank you! My interview is scheduled for the following week. Yes, I registered for both classes for the spring semester. The college also offered an eight-week section, which will allow me to take both courses in eight-week sessions and complete them by the beginning of May.
That's awesome! 8 weeks is great, and quick lol!

Best of luck next week!! 😀
 
Hello everyone. Yesterday, I received an email saying that my application was transferred to the admissions committee, and today I received a phone call to schedule an interview. This will be my first interview out of all the schools I applied to, and I’m very excited. Does anyone have suggestions from their own interview experience?
Good luck!!!
 
Yes! Turns out they were just waiting on me to finish my classes this semester. I submitted my updated transcript today and received an email that it was passed on to admissions. Hopefully I have a shot at an interview
OMG I also submitted my final and updated transcripts last Thursday and got an email like 10 minutes later saying it was also passed to admissions!!!!! Best of luck to usss!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. Yesterday, I received an email saying that my application was transferred to the admissions committee, and today I received a phone call to schedule an interview. This will be my first interview out of all the schools I applied to, and I’m very excited. Does anyone have suggestions from their own interview experience?
Hey! Did you got your interview? How did it went? 😄
 
Last edited:
Hey guys! I got a call today to sche

Hey! Did you got your interview? How did it went? 😄
I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming interview. Mine was today, and I feel it went well, even though sometimes I remember things I should have mentioned but forgot while answering the questions. Overall, it was smooth, and I was able to answer all the questions without having to think too much. It’s just that sometimes you have a perfect way to answer a question, and then you forget to mention some details you wanted to say. The interviewers were very nice, so I’m just hoping for the best.
 
I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming interview. Mine was today, and I feel it went well, even though sometimes I remember things I should have mentioned but forgot while answering the questions. Overall, it was smooth, and I was able to answer all the questions without having to think too much. It’s just that sometimes you have a perfect way to answer a question, and then you forget to mention some details you wanted to say. The interviewers were very nice, so I’m just hoping for the best.
Thanks! I got the call yesterday after being so stressed crying the whole week lol Mine is scheduled for Jan 13th so I'm veeery excited! I'm glad it went well with yours! It's very chill! And yes, after you finish the interview, you start thinking what you could have said better, so I get it! Who knows, maybe we get to go to school together next year! 😀
 
I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming interview. Mine was today, and I feel it went well, even though sometimes I remember things I should have mentioned but forgot while answering the questions. Overall, it was smooth, and I was able to answer all the questions without having to think too much. It’s just that sometimes you have a perfect way to answer a question, and then you forget to mention some details you wanted to say. The interviewers were very nice, so I’m just hoping for the best.
Did they give you a tour of the school?
 
This year they are offering both in-person and virtual interviews. I chose the virtual option.
Really!? Wow! That's a first! That's awesome!!!!! They didn't offer me the virtual option, though. They gave me the date, but they let me choose the time, so I'll be flying there 😀 Plus, a trip to PR is always nice!
 
This year they are offering both in-person and virtual interviews. I chose the virtual option.
Did they request that you submit a virtual/digital portfolio? They asked me to bring a physical one to the interview but not sure if I still have to submit it digitally. Last year I was asked to submit it through a link they sent me and also to bring one personally but haven't received that email this time around.
 
Did they request that you submit a virtual/digital portfolio? They asked me to bring a physical one to the interview but not sure if I still have to submit it digitally. Last year I was asked to submit it through a link they sent me and also to bring one personally but haven't received that email this time around.
I sent them my portfolio to the same email address they used to send the instructions.
 
Hi, everyone! I had my interview today 😃 I flew all the way to PR from FL yesterday. I had a GREAT interview! They made me feel at ease, and I actually laughed a lot! Pretty easy going, and questions are super easy to answer (I got a lot of ‘real-life scenarios questions and what would I do’ type of questions). They really just want to know you outside of your GPA and DAT scores. For anyone waiting on an interview or have one scheduled, don’t be nervous! Interviews in this school are super chill, you will be fine 😁😁

Good luck to everyone!!!! 🙏🏻
 
Congrats on it going well, Nicole! You're so deserving of an acceptance, I wish I had half of your determination lol. I know you will be a great dentist. Best of luck!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesn't seem like I'll get an interview this year. I also got rejected from most of my state schools, so I'm getting ready to re-apply next cycle.
Nooo, don't get discouraged! This has been my only interview so far. I also got rejected from all other schools I applied to. They are probably running interviews until late Feb/March. The very first time I applied to this school they called me in February, and my interview was early March! In last year's forum for this school, someone got the interview call in March, he got interviewed and was still accepted. No waitlist. He got in right away. They are still in the process. Not all interviews are in January. But yes, always be prepared if it doesn't happen. I'm also thinking about my next step already if it doesn't happen this year 🙂
 
Nooo, don't get discouraged! This has been my only interview so far. I also got rejected from all other schools I applied to. They are probably running interviews until late Feb/March. The very first time I applied to this school they called me in February, and my interview was early March! In last year's forum for this school, someone got the interview call in March, he got interviewed and was still accepted. No waitlist. He got in right away. They are still in the process. Not all interviews are in January. But yes, always be prepared if it doesn't happen. I'm also thinking about my next step already if it doesn't happen this year 🙂
They called and said I should complete my portfolio then email them to set up a date for an interview yayy!!! I’d love to ask you a few questions if you don’t mind, Nicole. My insta is _13jessica if you could text me that would be great!!!
 
Hey y'all, I know I'm late to this thread, but I applied this year to PHSU (just interviewed, I'm so happy!) and UPR, and got rejected from UPR because I didn't have the courses I needed. I don't know why I thought that they changed their system to not allow any AP credits from high school. Like they said they rejected me because I didn't meet the prerequisites. I remember in their email they also said that I needed to get the prereqs before December, which I couldn't do, but I saw someone in this thread that is taking classes that they'll finish in May. I also went online and saw their most recent pdf of requirements, and it says that they do accept AP credits. Which means, I could just take the CLEP exams I was always planning on taking anyway?? My grandma is insistent that I call and talk to them, but I feel like since I was rejected a few months ago theres no point... What do you guys think? I have strong ties to PR, fluent in Spanish, 3.8 GPA and 19 AA DAT.