Puerto Rico Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndn diva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information about Puerto Rico Medical Schools? Do they heavily consider the MCAT score? Is it tough to get residency after attending a medical school in Puerto Rico? Thanks for any information!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that most of them require you to speak english and spanish

Members don't see this ad :)
ndn diva said:
Does anyone have information about Puerto Rico Medical Schools? Do they heavily consider the MCAT score? Is it tough to get residency after attending a medical school in Puerto Rico? Thanks for any information!!!!!

Hi,

I'm currently in between MS I and II down here in Ponce, let me know if you have any other questions...

As far as I know, residency programs look favorably on bilingual applicants, but I would honestly say that you would have a much better chance at the East coast residencies than the West coast, since many programs west of the mississippi have not even heard of Ponce. We're trying hard to remedy that situation, but its been slow going. The MCAT is scaled for PR residents, so anything above a low-20's for a bilingual mainlander is ok according to the adcom, and they will consider you for acceptance, especially with an average(for the US, ~8) verbal score. Take care and good luck.

Hi,
I am going to St. George's University did well in MCAT 9V, 10P, 10BS and WR:p. What are my chances of transferring into Ponce? I took spanish in high school and have conversed with locals, while in Mexico. How strict are they about the bilingual requirement and what are they looking for when you want to transfer in?

thanks
irvinedawg

ispic said:
Hi,

I'm currently in between MS I and II down here in Ponce, let me know if you have any other questions...

As far as I know, residency programs look favorably on bilingual applicants, but I would honestly say that you would have a much better chance at the East coast residencies than the West coast, since many programs west of the mississippi have not even heard of Ponce. We're trying hard to remedy that situation, but its been slow going. The MCAT is scaled for PR residents, so anything above a low-20's for a bilingual mainlander is ok according to the adcom, and they will consider you for acceptance, especially with an average(for the US, ~8) verbal score. Take care and good luck.

irvinedawg, i transfered to Ponce School of Medicine in August of 2002. I came from a non-lcme accreditted school (San Juan Bautista School of Medicine in Puerto Rico), at the time of the transfer i had just finished my 2nd year at SJB School of Medicine. Since i came from an LCME non accredited school and I didnt have my USMLE scores (we cannot take them before we graduated, school policy due to accreditation problems), PSM made me repeat 2nd year, which although painful i dont regreted. Rigth now im going into my 4th year there and i dont regret my desicion. In your case although you come from a non accredited lcme school if you have your usmle 1 board score and its a pass i think you can make the jump from 2nd to 3rd without repeating 2nd year. The school has a deadline that already has passed for this next semester, i think it was may 15 or something like that. But here is the page talking about transfers in PSM, hope it helps.

http://www.psm.edu/Student_Affairs/Admissions/MD/md_program_description.htm#advanced

Hi,

Hi, I am so excited to find someone who graduated from a medical school in Puerto Rico. I have so many questions. For now, I'll just ask a few.
I'm applying to medical school to start this year. I interviewed at Ponce, Universidad Central del Caribe and San Juan Bautista. I got accepted to UCC and SJB. I haven't heard from Ponce yet (Interviewed last week). From your experience, is it more difficult from someone coming form a school in Puerto Rico vs., for example, UC Davis to get a residency in the West coast?
In terms of getting financial aid, how does that work for schools in Puerto Rico? At the interview at Ponce, they told me that the school didn't have enough funds to offer scholarships. Do most students just take out loans as their only source of financial aid?
What are the cons and pros of going to med school in Puerto Rico?
I really appreciate your input!!

I wish there were more movement on this thread. This thread does not belong in the Caribbean section.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea if PR schools emphasize research?

Hi, I am so excited to find someone who graduated from a medical school in Puerto Rico. I have so many questions. For now, I'll just ask a few.
I'm applying to medical school to start this year. I interviewed at Ponce, Universidad Central del Caribe and San Juan Bautista. I got accepted to UCC and SJB. I haven't heard from Ponce yet (Interviewed last week). From your experience, is it more difficult from someone coming form a school in Puerto Rico vs., for example, UC Davis to get a residency in the West coast?
In terms of getting financial aid, how does that work for schools in Puerto Rico? At the interview at Ponce, they told me that the school didn't have enough funds to offer scholarships. Do most students just take out loans as their only source of financial aid?
What are the cons and pros of going to med school in Puerto Rico?
I really appreciate your input!!
hello,
I just read your question about the medical schools in PR.. You mentioned you interviewed at these schools. Could you please tell me a little more about these schools? I am a 2nd year Physician Assistant student, however, I am considering applying to one of the PR schools.

How were the facilities? I don't necessarily care if they are cutting edge technology, but did everything seem fairly decent?

How was the interview? Was it predominantly in Spanish? I am from the Texas-Mexican border, so I speak spanish fairly well, but I definately need to touch up.

How were the islands and people? Your overall experience with them? I would appreciate your insight and any advice you may have. Thank you and good luck with your decisions!

Puerto Rican schools are US-American. Graduates from there are considered the same as graduates from the states. Education, however, is in Spanish, but books are in English.

hello,
I just read your question about the medical schools in PR.. You mentioned you interviewed at these schools. Could you please tell me a little more about these schools? I am a 2nd year Physician Assistant student, however, I am considering applying to one of the PR schools.

How were the facilities? I don't necessarily care if they are cutting edge technology, but did everything seem fairly decent?

How was the interview? Was it predominantly in Spanish? I am from the Texas-Mexican border, so I speak spanish fairly well, but I definately need to touch up.

How were the islands and people? Your overall experience with them? I would appreciate your insight and any advice you may have. Thank you and good luck with your decisions!

Hey there, I'm currently a 4th yr medical student at PSM, and I'm also from the Texas/Mexico border. A few quick responses to your q's...

Facilities are definitely adequate.
Interview was in spanish and english for me. Not all students here are completely fluent in spanish, so if you know a decent amount then you'll be fine.
The island is amazing as well as the people. Super hospitable and the food is awesome. Traffic is the only thing that sucks.
I definitely advise you to apply here. The school will undergo an LCME review in June but their accreditation should be fine and should be removed from probation. The downside is that tuition is pretty expensive but overall its a great place to study medicine. The great majority of our class matched this year and in very good places.

Hey there, I'm currently a 4th yr medical student at PSM, and I'm also from the Texas/Mexico border. A few quick responses to your q's...

Facilities are definitely adequate.
Interview was in spanish and english for me. Not all students here are completely fluent in spanish, so if you know a decent amount then you'll be fine.
The island is amazing as well as the people. Super hospitable and the food is awesome. Traffic is the only thing that sucks.
I definitely advise you to apply here. The school will undergo an LCME review in June but their accreditation should be fine and should be removed from probation. The downside is that tuition is pretty expensive but overall its a great place to study medicine. The great majority of our class matched this year and in very good places.

Hi! I know this is an old post but do you happen to have the Match list from PSM from a recent year, besides the 2005 one that circles around here.

Thank you!!

Hi! I know this is an old post but do you happen to have the Match list from PSM from a recent year, besides the 2005 one that circles around here.

Thank you!!
I recently interviewed at PSM and was accepted, and at the interview this question came up. The interviewer said that 84% of the students matched in their latest class, and I assume that was the 2015 class because my interview was in Dec. of 2016. With a class of 63-68 thats roughly 53-58 students that matched (unsure how big the class was so I'm just estimating but its usually around 60 students). The students that matched were matched in PR and the US.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's a late post.....
I Started applying to medical school before my score was released. Received a 485 (I know it's horrible) but I was scoring 504-510 on practice exams. I have horrible test anxiety. English is my third language. I was born in Brazil and when I moved to the U.S. I learned Spanish (my Spanish isn't fluent but it's decent) My background:

I'm currently working in the operating room as a clerk. I have great recommendation letters from well respected doctors. >300 shadowing hours, in the ER and a private practice where I assisted in minor surgeries.
I received two bachelors degrees, biology and chemistry with honors.
I have 2 years of research in two different labs.
I also have a lot of volunteering experiences, began my own organization, and went on a medical mission trip.

Should I continue with secondaries and apply to medical school in PR or is my score that low that I don't stand a chance and try again next year?

The Puerto Rican Schools are LCME accredited US Schools.
Although located in the Caribbean they are not Caribbean schools.
Questions regarding these schools can be placed in the the school specific threads or in the pre-med allopathic sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.