Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoop44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted to know if anyone knows any information about the optometry school in Puerto Rico. It is my first choice to go to Optometry school down there ( from NY, Long Island). I called them up and they said I will be hearing from an alumni doctor for an interview in the next week. Anyone have an interview from the school? Anyone know anything about the school that would be useful knowledge? Please let me know anything you guys know, thanks....Jan

Members don't see this ad.

All I really know is the classes are taught in Spanish. So if you are not fluent in Spanish, that could be quite the challenge.

rpames said:
All I really know is the classes are taught in Spanish. So if you are not fluent in Spanish, that could be quite the challenge.

The classes are taught in english and spanish actually. Only accredited bilingual opt school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from PR in '03. I had a great time. PR is a little different place to live, but it's fine. The education is on par with what you'll see at other schools. After graduating I did a residency and loved it. Anymore questions let me know.

jchod said:
I graduated from PR in '03. I had a great time. PR is a little different place to live, but it's fine. The education is on par with what you'll see at other schools. After graduating I did a residency and loved it. Anymore questions let me know.

Why are the OAT and GPA requirements so low in Puerto Rico compared to the other schools?

RLK said:
Why are the OAT and GPA requirements so low in Puerto Rico compared to the other schools?
Well, there aren't "requirements" per se. but the average is lower because the entering PR students are held to a bit of a lower standard. Iv'e been told that the public schools there are not that good and so allowences are made. That brings the average entering OAT and GPA down that you see on whatever website.

how are the classes taught in english and spanish? Do 2 professors talk at the same time or how is this done? I'm starting to think that maybe I should apply to Puerto Rico.

Okay, let me rephrase that. Some classes are taught in Spanish, others are taught in English. Those that are not taught in a language you understand, are translated into notes that you can. ALL tests and texts are in English, as the NBEO is in English.

hmm. do you think it's a good idea to go there if you don't understand spanish?

I'm from NYC and I start med school there in august.
I know this is an optometry forum but maybe I can shed some light on your doubts about PR.
First of all OAT (and MCAT) scores are "lower" there because you have to understand that while most islanders can read and understand english, it is their second language. Just imagine being forced to take the OATS completely in spanish then you have an idea of what islanders have to go through. In order to compensate for the obviously lower scores that will result OAT and in the case of med schools, MCAt scores are scaled to reflect the social reality that PR is a mostly spanish speaking island. This obviously brings downthe average score for accepted applicants, but it doesnt necessarily apply to mainland apps.

Now med schools there still require competitive scores from mainland applicants, so while a 24 MCAT is considered a very good score for a puertorrican applicant by the addcom, they will probably look for something a bit higher in mainland apps. I may speak for med schools there but I am sure this also applies to the optometry school there. So with this in mind, the average OAT scores are misleading in many regards.

I moved there recently and I absolutely fell in love with the place. Like a poster before me stated, it does get some getting used to, but I dont regret it one bit. Surprisingly the med schools and the school of optometry are pretty competitive in regards to residency placements. Give the school a call and find out for yourself. Its a once in a lifetime chance to experience a totally new culture without technically leaving the US.

Dr Who.

What I think is a good idea is to seperate you from every other OD out there and everyone else who graduates the same year you do. A very good way to do that is by being just as comfortable doing exams in spanish as in english. Whether you are looking to join an OMD practice, start your own, whatever. You are a better prospective partner because you widen the scope of the practice. You are also a better provider simply because you are able to see a patient population that most other ODs or OMDs are not.