Pulm/CC Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

95beretta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did/do yall like to read for fellowship? Starting fellowship in July but have a ton of cme money to burn so thinking about buying something now...I love mksap for residency but looking for something that would be a good base for the next 3 years in pulm/cc.

Members don't see this ad.

I would get an ACCP board review book and start reading
plus the book has a lot of references and you can get more readings out of it
just for starters

Also, I had fishman to read and my fellowship bought me nadel's 2 volume the second year

Not the biggest fan of textbooks, but I'd recommend:

1. Diagnostic Thoracic Imaging by Wallace Miller, Jr (it is phenomenal)
2. Fishman's for a pulmonary reference
3. Critical Care Medicine by Hall, Schmidt, Wood for critical care reference

However, I mostly like to read on the job in real-time:
5. Review articles from quality journals
6. Pub-med searches
7. Up to date

I think that the board review book sucks, and I don't think that there is a quality pocket book for a reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the biggest fan of textbooks, but I'd recommend:

1. Diagnostic Thoracic Imaging by Wallace Miller, Jr (it is phenomenal)
2. Fishman's for a pulmonary reference
3. Critical Care Medicine by Hall, Schmidt, Wood for critical care reference

However, I mostly like to read on the job in real-time:
5. Review articles from quality journals
6. Pub-med searches
7. Up to date

I think that the board review book sucks, and I don't think that there is a quality pocket book for a reference.

echo much above,

Find a good Imaging book, Webb also has a good one, but the one listed is very good as well. then either fishman's v Murray/nadel (I prefer fishman's for a 1st year fellow, that's my bias) I have the Text book of CCm, and have never read it. the ACCP pulm board review book bored the crap out of me, but it's what I used primarily for board studying, but not knowledge enhancement. get on the TOC notification list for Chest, ATS, thorax, BMJ, Critical Care, The Clinics, and Seminars in Respiratory medicine.

also I've found PulmCC Central to be a nice resourse as well, and I've booked mark them on my RSS feed.

What did/do yall like to read for fellowship? Starting fellowship in July but have a ton of cme money to burn so thinking about buying something now...I love mksap for residency but looking for something that would be a good base for the next 3 years in pulm/cc.

Marini and Marino to start for critical care.
I have been using Vincent as my main text, reader friendly, clinically oriented, managable chapters.
Evidence based critical care, awsome text.
Got a handbook from MGH which I rarely open but seems useful.

Pulm, i got no idea. i use Some giant text on MD Consult by Murray. Its good but imposing for a newbie. Got a copy of West to review physiology. snagged some bronch PDF online, havent even glanced at it. I also have a brief text called Principles of Pulmonary Medicine, NOT fellow level material but it seems like a good starting place.

Any thoughts from those in the know would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on a good critical care ultrasound book?

It sounds like people are rather hardcore about reading prior to starting their fellowship. I am having a hard time just getting time to prepare for the boards, as I am still a resident. Possibly current/previous fellows can comment - is this much different from residency, where you are actually told NOT to read and relax prior to starting residency, as you will learn along the way?

I imagine it would be useful to be the fellow who knows all the evidence-based medicine on day 1, and all the pulmonary vasculitides and the hypersensitivity/eosinophilic pneumonias, but its hard to adjust priorities between preparing for the boards and for fellowship.

It sounds like people are rather hardcore about reading prior to starting their fellowship. I am having a hard time just getting time to prepare for the boards, as I am still a resident. Possibly current/previous fellows can comment - is this much different from residency, where you are actually told NOT to read and relax prior to starting residency, as you will learn along the way?

I imagine it would be useful to be the fellow who knows all the evidence-based medicine on day 1, and all the pulmonary vasculitides and the hypersensitivity/eosinophilic pneumonias, but its hard to adjust priorities between preparing for the boards and for fellowship.

pulm-CC ain't rheumatology........