Pulm only to combined PulmCrit Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CODEND

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do pulmonary only for 1-2 year, would it be difficult to find combined PulmCrit jobs again later? I am concerned that there will be issues with credentialing to show that I have recent procedural experience. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not so much that issue . It’s more like you will not be board certified for crit care . while some small desperate hospitals would hire you , you out yourself at high risk of losing lawsuits for bad outcomes out of your hands .

Now some internists in the boonies do icu but those icu are like tertiary care step down units . Sure you can find those jobs as pulm and might be fine ...

Reactions: 1 user
Are you trained in both and thinking of doing a pulm only job for a couple of years? Or are you talking about doing a 2 year pulmonary only fellowship with the hopes of practicing both?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trained in both and thinking of doing a pulm only job for a couple of years? Or are you talking about doing a 2 year pulmonary only fellowship with the hopes of practicing both?
I am board certified in PCCM. There is some changes in our group and I have to decide if I want to do CCM only or Pulm only. Plan to stay here for another two years. Is it possible to practice CCM again later if I do only pulmonary for about two years?

I am board certified in PCCM. There is some changes in our group and I have to decide if I want to do CCM only or Pulm only. Plan to stay here for another two years. Is it possible to practice CCM again later if I do only pulmonary for about two years?

Can you do pulm and pick up some critical care shifts occasionally? One of my previous colleagues has had a tough time getting credentialed/hired to do anesthesia after doing critical care for the last 3 years. He wasn’t able to do any anesthesia work as he was on a visa for those years.

Can you do pulm and pick up some critical care shifts occasionally? One of my previous colleagues has had a tough time getting credentialed/hired to do anesthesia after doing critical care for the last 3 years. He wasn’t able to do any anesthesia work as he was on a visa for those years.
Will try to do that. Thanks

I see you are certified in both . I misunderstood the initial post. I run a pulm private practice and don’t do any full time ccm . But when some of my colleagues need to be off on Saturdays (sabbath ) , I offer to pick up icu shifts here and there. It’s an arrangement I made . I get to bill private for those days . It’s win win . It’s a busy community hospital in nyc that’s not tertiary care but the patients are no less sick

I see you are certified in both . I misunderstood the initial post. I run a pulm private practice and don’t do any full time ccm . But when some of my colleagues need to be off on Saturdays (sabbath ) , I offer to pick up icu shifts here and there. It’s an arrangement I made . I get to bill private for those days . It’s win win . It’s a busy community hospital in nyc that’s not tertiary care but the patients are no less sick
Sounds good. Thanks

Shouldn’t be a problem if you can pick up shifts here and there and keep up with your bronchs.

when our locums PCCM work with us, if for pulm, they usually pick up clinic shifts. if for ccm, they pick up icu shifts.
we don't usually ask locums to do our pulmonary procedures. would get bronchs in icu if you sign up for that, just fyi.
we need 10 bronchs every two years to keep credentialing up