pulmonology after anesthesiology

Started by xjohns1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xjohns1

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm wondering what it would take in additional training for an anesthesiologist to become a board-certified pulmonologist. must he complete 2 years of medicine residency plus 2 years of pulmonary fellowship or is any of that reduced due to anesthesia training? what would the scenario be for a anesthesiologist fellowship-trained in critical care to become a bc pulmonologist? any thoughts on how likely training programs would be to take on such a person? thanks for the help.
 
why would anyone want to do pulmonology??? after anesthesia.... it pays less, all of your time is in clinics (the only way to make money is to do PFTs)... sounds horrible to me...
 
I think both im and pulm are 3 years each. I don't know if your internship would count, maybe if you had done a im prelim, but I don't know. Sounds like at least 5-6 extra years. I don't know why anyone would do this.