punctuation for quotes

Started by lockon7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lockon7

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the inevitable reading back of the primary as I'm pre-writing secondaries. I noticed that I made a few punctuation errors (3) throughout the W/A section where the period or comma was placed after the quotes. For example: ...to which he wrote "no".
Another example: One patient, "Joe", said ...

I found 2 in my second to last paragraph of my personal statement too. Would these be noticeable and affect me in a negative manner?
 
I did the inevitable reading back of the primary as I'm pre-writing secondaries. I noticed that I made a few punctuation errors (3) throughout the W/A section where the period or comma was placed after the quotes. For example: ...to which he wrote "no".
Another example: One patient, "Joe", said ...

I found 2 in my second to last paragraph of my personal statement too. Would these be noticeable and affect me in a negative manner?
I still put two spaces after a period by habit. Darn Oxford comma rules...

So you didn't run your essays through a grammar checker. Not an issue.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still put two spaces after a period by habit. Darn Oxford comma rules...

So you didn't run your essays through a grammar checker. Not an issue.
LOL. I have learned from this though. Just signed up for Grammarly premium so it doesn't happen for the secondaries.
 
Reporting back a year later: received 3 interview invites (one to a top 15 school) out of ~24 primaries. Didn't get into the top 15, but going to a state MD school.
Regardless, PLEASE take some extra time and review punctuation such as quotations to make sure everything's square.