Purchase a microscope???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emeddo

OMS
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of older medical students trying to sell their microscopes to incoming medical students and I am wondering if I should buy one. The rental fee at our school is $250 and I have seen some, what I think, pretty decent looking microscopes for sale off of Ebay for around that price. I know I might not use one again for awhile, but I have always kind of wanted my own microscope for fun more than anything else. Should I buy my own microscope or just rent the ones the schools give out? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences on this.

Thanks.....

Members don't see this ad.

mbHopper said:
I have been seeing a lot of older medical students trying to sell their microscopes to incoming medical students and I am wondering if I should buy one. The rental fee at our school is $250 and I have seen some, what I think, pretty decent looking microscopes for sale off of Ebay for around that price. I know I might not use one again for awhile, but I have always kind of wanted my own microscope for fun more than anything else. Should I buy my own microscope or just rent the ones the schools give out? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences on this.

Thanks.....
At MSUCOM, the majority of the slides are on a disc we can purchase(approx.$10), or on a website. For the slides that aren't on a disc or online, they let us use the microscope's at school. There is no rental fee.

Which school rents them to students?

futuredo32 said:
Which school rents them to students?

KCOM does...sounds like just another way to make more money to me though

Members don't see this ad :)
People still have to use a microscope? We definately do not at CCOM. The microscopes and slides are available if you so choose to use them. Id be willing to bet no one did.

mbHopper said:

Thanks.....

At our school, we are given an MS-II "mentor" to help us out through our first year of school. These "mentors" sell us their microscopes. You will then sell your microscope to your second year, at a similar price minus wear and tear to the first year you are assigned to.

In the near future, our school will be converting to a web-based, non-microscope histology lab, however.

Buckeye(OH) said:
People still have to use a microscope? We definately do not at CCOM. The microscopes and slides are available if you so choose to use them. Id be willing to bet no one did.
I was wondering the same :confused: COMP also has everything online so that we can look at them with a beer at home