Purdue & the Animal Nutrition pre-req.

Started by AussieDr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AussieDr

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently in the process of deciding which schools I will be applying to and am considering Purdue. I see that Animal Nutrition is a pre-req and my school does not offer that class. Does anyone know if Purdue will accept any other classes to fit that requirement? I have taken a nutrition class, just not animal nutrition.

Also, this may be a stupid question 🙂 , but when looking at some other schools, I see that some ( ie Florida, Texas) have an Animal Science pre-req. My school doesn't have a lot of options for that either. I have taken Animal Behavior and will be taking either Invertabrate bio or Vertabrate bio next semester. Does anyone by chance know if any of those classes count as an Animal Science course? I will of course double check with individual schools before applying to make sure I have all the pre-req's but thought maybe someone here might have some info.

Thanks!
 
As far as Purdue's Animal nutrition course, Purdue offers the course online in fall, spring, and summer. And you may have to e-mail Jim Wiesman in student services to double check, but I'm pretty positive it must be an animal nutrition course.
 
I would think the Animal Behavior class would count as an Animal Science course, but I don't know for sure
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For Florida's requirement, Animal Behavior would not count. It must be an Intro to Animal Science or similarly named course. There are a few schools that offer Intro to Animal Science and Animal Nutrition courses online or as a correspondence course. I know I came across a list somewhere before, just have to find it again.

Edit: http://studentunion.nts.wustl.edu/~prevet/sites/default/files/ANSC ANNU Corresp.pdf

There's the list. I know there are many people accepted to UF who take the Intro to Animal Science and Animal Nutrition courses through SPC, since UF let's you wait until the summer before matriculation to take those classes.
 
Thanks! I don't suppose Purdue ( or Florida) would allow you to take the class online after acceptance the summer before school would start? That's too good to be true I imagine as I have read that most say the pre-req classes have to be completed spring semester. I hate to shell out money for extra classes before knowing if I would even be going to that school. Purdue is the only one I am considering that has the Animal Nutrition requirement. I don't know what to do about that, it's an expensive roll of the dice to pay for the class on the off chance of acceptance. It is not my IS school, which is of course my top choice, but it is towards the top of my list.
 
Thanks! I don't suppose Purdue ( or Florida) would allow you to take the class online after acceptance the summer before school would start? That's too good to be true I imagine as I have read that most say the pre-req classes have to be completed spring semester. I hate to shell out money for extra classes before knowing if I would even be going to that school. Purdue is the only one I am considering that has the Animal Nutrition requirement. I don't know what to do about that, it's an expensive roll of the dice to pay for the class on the off chance of acceptance. It is not my IS school, which is of course my top choice, but it is towards the top of my list.
Florida does let you take the class online the summer before you would start. And requires both Intro to Animal Science and Animal Nutrition.

I'm taking Animal Nutrition now through SPC, because NCSU requires it and doesn't let you wait until the summer before matriculation, but Florida is the only school I'm applying to that requires Animal Science, so I'm waiting on that. Idk about Purdue though.
 
I'm taking this class through Purdue's Distance Learning Program in the Spring of 2015, regardless of what happens to my application. It seems like an interesting class. Ordered the Basic Animal Nutrition and Feeding book online for around $30. Anybody else taking it this Spring?
 
I've taken this class twice (screwed up the math on my second exam really bad). You don't really need the book. Everything you need is on the powerpoints, or I have notes if you need help understanding something.
 
Thanks!
How much math is in this class?
I would say one exam (the second one?) has quite a bit of math one it, and the final is... 1/3-1/4 math related. It's all balancing rations, so it has a bit of algebra. He teaches it a bit differently but if you know how solve for multiple variables in multiple equations, you'll be fine. The rest of the class is pretty much memorization.
 
Just a head's up, I just got an e-mail that the Animal Nutrition class is being offered online for the spring semester.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took this class online from Purdue. My suggestion, if anyone is wondering, is that you don't need to buy the textbook! I did not use it at all and got almost perfect scores on all of the tests. There is more than enough information on the blackboard site given by the professor. I just watched the lectures and studied the notes/ power points. If you ever need more info on a specific topic you can ask the professor or google it.
 
I'm taking the Purdue Animal Nutrition class in the spring as well! Looks like I'm not going to buy the textbook! Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have some study buddies to talk to as well!