Purged Letter File: Solutions to UG LOR Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbo

MS-4
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, my letter service file was purged after 5 yrs post-graduation. I'm essentially screwed. I graduated in 2000 and out of the 3 profs that I originally had letters for 1 is no longer there and can't find through google, 1 surely doesn't remember me (10 yrs ago) and 1 I keep in touch with so that's not a problem.

Have any of you nontrads run into this problem and with some schools requiring UG letters? Will some committees take other letters in these sorts of circumstances? I completed a master's 2 years ago, so I believe I can still get those letters back. Any advice on the matter is welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you getting any "recent" LOR's? I ask this because having all your LORs from that long ago may not be the most wise move. Admissions committees may be expecting to get some "recent" LORs, these usually come from "recent" classes taken. So my question to you is have you taken any recent classes?

Are you getting any "recent" LOR's? I ask this because having all your LORs from that long ago may not be the most wise move. Admissions committees may be expecting to get some "recent" LORs, these usually come from "recent" classes taken. So my question to you is have you taken any recent classes?

I took a number of classes for my Master's from 2003-2005. That's my last coursework and I'm confident I can obtain letters from those professors. I don't have a problem addressing "professor or teachers of courses" LORs.

The problem is some schools say specifically that they want undergraduate letters. That's where my bind is. I can't find any specific schools, but some call for UG letters. Has anyone successfully substituted more recent letters for these schools that have strict LOR requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took some undergraduate post-bacc classes to finish the pre-reqs, etc. I got letters from those profs.

I assume those qualified as undergraduate LORs even if they weren't from your undergraduate institution. Would graduate program LORs fit the same bill?

Okay I see...I think (but not 100%) that medical schools will make some adjustments (regarding LOR) for non-trads applicants. I would (if you are not applying this cycle) maybe contact some of the medical schools and ask them. Most medical schools are pretty reasonable when it comes to answering questions as long are your are applying later down the line. Good luck!