purpose of including photos for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Krazy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some secondaries that request an "optional" photo when you send it in. They say it's for ID purposes, but I talked to a friend and he said that they use the photos to discriminate, and that they really serve no useful purpose. (And Aoshi, don't bother posting a reply, I know your opinion already =P) I thought about it some, and I figured that schools didn't really NEED photos to ID people for interviews, and why would they discriminate based on looks? It doesn't make sense to me. So I dunno if I should take the trouble to take a picture and send it in. Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i have been told, some adcoms use the pictures to help id applicants during adcom meetings...interviewers see many applicants and may not remember a name as well as a face (i know i am like that), and if you submit a pic with the secondary, the committee can pass your pic around to those who interviewed you to "refresh" their memories so to speak. however, this is just based on what i was told, so take it for what you will

Also, these schools can see how much of a loser most of you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
HOSS, I think you better change the "you" in your reply to an "us."

You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew.

Why does everybody have to be paranoid about the photo?

If the med school asks for a photo, why not send it it? They already know your race based on what box you checked on the AMCAS application. Therefore, they can already discriminate based on that.

However, the photo is helpful because it allows them to have a mental picture of who you are, and I guess this helps in the evaluation.

Also, I think for security purposes, they ask for a photo so that if you are invited for an interview, they know it's really you.

I think that it looks worst if you don't comply with the medical school. If they ask for something, give it to them.