Putting Prelim on the primary ROL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPodtosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to radiology, and my school's adviser told me that I should put my prelim at the bottom of my primary ROL so in the event that I don't match to any of my advanced program, i will have somewhere to go for PGY-1.
But my question is, if I don't match at any radiology and I match a prelim on my primary ROL, will I still be eligible for SOAP for a radiology PGY-2 spot? My understanding is that if you match somewhere on your primary ROL, you are considered "matched" and you won't be able to SOAP for anything....

Can someone please clarify this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to radiology, and my school's adviser told me that I should put my prelim at the bottom of my primary ROL so in the event that I don't match to any of my advanced program, i will have somewhere to go for PGY-1.
But my question is, if I don't match at any radiology and I match a prelim on my primary ROL, will I still be eligible for SOAP for a radiology PGY-2 spot?
Yes you will.
My understanding is that if you match somewhere on your primary ROL, you are considered "matched" and you won't be able to SOAP for anything....
Your understanding is incorrect. If you match advanced but not prelim (or vice versa), you are eligible to SOAP for the part that you didn't match in. What you won't be able to do if you match prelim is SOAP into a categorical anesthesia spot.

Looking at last year's data, there were 31 cat anesthesia spots available in SOAP and 13 advanced spots. Do with that information what you will.

But the advice you got is pretty typical for anybody planning a prelim/advanced match. Something is better than nothing in this case.

(Here's the link...warning, big ass PDF file coming your way.)

Thanks alot for the clarification gutonc.
I am applying to radiology, and there are more advanced spots for SOAP, so I guess I will put some prelim in my primary ROL just to be safe.
Thank you for the PDF link!! Have a good day!

Thanks alot for the clarification gutonc.
I am applying to radiology, and there are more advanced spots for SOAP, so I guess I will put some prelim in my primary ROL just to be safe.
Thank you for the PDF link!! Have a good day!
Apparently I can't read. But the rest holds true.

Agree with gutonc, but want to emphasize his caveat. If you don't match into radiology but get your prelim, you won't have the flexibility to jump into something categorical, just something advanced. So if you were thinking of doing something non-advanced if you don't match radiology, this could become an issue.