PV Loop- Infiltrative Cardiomyopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMiami

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-2-13_17-45-49.png

Can someone please explain why contractility increases in infiltrative cardiomyopathy Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 214704

Can someone please explain why contractility increases in infiltrative cardiomyopathy Thank you :)

Infiltrative cardiomyopathy, like amyloidosis, causes thickening and decreased compliance of the heart. Thought of another way, this increases the elasticity of the heart wall. This presents as increased "contractility" because of Frank-Starling mechanisms, but there isn't an intrinsic positive ionotropy. It's a mechanical effect.

Infiltrative cardiomyopathy, like amyloidosis, causes thickening and decreased compliance of the heart. Thought of another way, this increases the elasticity of the heart wall. This presents as increased "contractility" because of Frank-Starling mechanisms, but there isn't an intrinsic positive ionotropy. It's a mechanical effect.
Thank you so much BurghStudent. Could you explain how elasticity is related to Frank Starling mechanism. I feel like I'm missing something. Thank you

Thank you so much BurghStudent. Could you explain how elasticity is related to Frank Starling mechanism. I feel like I'm missing something. Thank you

Sure, it's not really critical to understanding this, and I could have done without it, but the way I view it, Frank-Starling is based on the sarcomere. If you stretch a sarcomere to a certain length, within reason, (i.e. increase preload), then you increase contraction and therefore stroke volume. I only brought it up to say that with increased elasticity, you would expect whatever volume you put into the LV to be ejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you ever tried to inflate a really stubborn balloon? The air rushes out much faster once you stop inflating.

That's basically infiltrative cardiomyopathy.

Reactions: 1 users