q. about doing surgical path...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you want to do surgical path is it advisable to do ap only or should one do ap/cp?

thanks.

p.s. no one has yet to answer my question about the job market for graduates!!!

Members don't see this ad.

but even if you wanted to do just surgical path, not as research, but working in a hospital, what do you think of doing? ap or ap/cp?

Good question, but as Crepitus said this has been answered numerous times in the past... But to lay your worries to rest:

AP/CP has an advantage specially in the private practice field as the groups often seek flexibility and would like you to be able to cover other areas if need arises. By going AP or CP only, you are only saving yourself a year or two of training at best (which in the grand scheme of things makes not much of a difference) and making yourself less markatable incomparison to your AP/CP counterparts who may be in the hunt for similar jobs.

The only instance I can think of AP solo being not a bad decision is if you have your heart set on Forensics, but again that too is not wise as you may burn out of forensics and may want to return to general Path.

As for the job opportunities, NO ONE KNOWS! (at least in this forum-aside from Pumpkin I presume). Many of Path jobs are notoriously word of mouth and not published. Alot of people, including Iserson state the jobs are limited because the number of listings on CAP is not high. Basically, if you get a good training, show what you can do, and have a good attitude (and of course not stuck on finding a job within a 25 mile radius) you should have a job.

regards

thanks for the reply...

what's your take on the following programs in:

arizona

florida

mass.

connecticut

new york

cali..