Q about IM residency for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejoffe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non US citizen from Israel and am now doing my internship year.
I am interested in doing my residency in the US in one of the Ivy League hospitals (Hopkins, Columbia, Harvard etc.).
My USMLE 1 & 2 scores are 246 and 258 respectively. I haven't taken the 2cs yet.
I am very interested to start in the next year, but it seems it is too late to apply.
Do I have any chace, in general, to get in ?
Do I have any options, regarding the coming year, such as, a late application ?
Do positions vacate during the yer as people fing it is not to their liking ?
May I address the hospitals directly and not via the electronic system ?

I would also like to know how are my grades considered - I know they are in the 99th precentile, but I must admit that in cmparison to other students in Israel I am only avarage + (I will, however, be able to supply some good recommandations).

Thanks in advance
EJ

Members don't see this ad.

things you can do to improve your application

1. become a U.S Citizen if ur not already
2. Get sum US clinical experience
3. Do research and publish
4. Pass Step 2 CS and pass step 3 if ur allowed to take step 3 now.
5. Apply to at least 100 programs

It's very late to try to get interviews for this match season. Some programs do interview into late Jan and early Feb, but if you haven't collected all the "stuff" you need to apply (letters of rec, etc) I doubt you'll be able to get it all together for this year.

You could certainly try to compete in the scramble, but with 1-2 US rotations and those scores I expect you would compete well in the match and get a better spot.

I agree with the previous poster -- you are in a good position because as an intern in Israel, you might be able to do an "away" rotation in the US. Many israeli schools have relationships with US schools. You may run into visa issues -- med students can come to the US on an F visa (which is relatively easy to get), as a resident it's unclear if you'd qualify for an F -- if not, you're likely to get stuck because the usual visas used for residency (J and H) won't work for you.

With 1-2 US rotations and a nice LOR from them, I expect you would do well in the match. I think 100+ programs might be overkill.

Getting an off cycle spot is possible, but unreliable. Many positions (especially those at competative reisdencies) are never even advertised.

If you want a spot in the match, you have to use ERAS. If you want an off cycle spot, then it's all done on paper.

Bottom line advice:
1. Best chances of a high quality spot: US rotation in April - June + obtain LOR from rotation + apply in next years match.
2. If you want to try for an H visa, you need to take Step 3. However, not all programs will sponsor you for an H.
3. Scramble and/or finding an off cycle spot can certainly work, are more random, offer less choice, but could involve you getting a spot for July 07.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies.

I am afraid I am only interested in the best programs, anything else will not allow me to acquire a senior position in a hospital here.

Do IMG stand any chance of getting into places as J Hopkins ?

Is there any point addressing these hospitals about the coming year ?

And, do my usmle really represent 1 percent of the people taking the exam, or are these common grades to come by ?

Oh, could you please describe a normal day in these residency programs - what does q3-4-5 stand for, what are short and long calls and do you get one day off ?

Thanks for your time,

EJ

Thanks for your replies.

I am afraid I am only interested in the best programs, anything else will not allow me to acquire a senior position in a hospital here.

And, do my usmle really represent 1 percent of the people taking the exam, or are these common grades to come by ?

Oh, could you please describe a normal day in these residency programs - what does q3-4-5 stand for, what are short and long calls and do you get one day off ?

Thanks for your time,

EJ

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for your time,

EJ

Some IMGs do get into the top name programs but very few.Your scores are way above average for US applicants and will get attention. but will not get you in by themselves.Its helpful to have research or other credentials to make you stand out.Rotations to make contacts are important especially from non US grads.
There are many strong IM programs with excellent reputations beyond the few that you mention.You could get in with less trouble with your great board scores.You do not have to train at John Hopkins or Harvard to get good fellowships and faculty appointments.It is very difficult for even top US applicants to gain entry to super prestige hospitals.You need to be more flexible and look at other programs as well. What exactly do you plan on doing after residency?

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I actually wouldn't mind trying other programs. My problem is that I am really eager to start in 2007, but cannot make the deadline for application since I still haven't taken the step 2 CS exam and since the last date for applying for most hospitals has already passed.

Can I apply without having taken the CS on the basis of taking it later (say in Feb) ?

Is it worth while to apply for the scramble process and when at the latest can I do that ?

Are there positions opening later then July ? and, if so, where are they advertised ?

How do I find about programs I can apply for which are good and yet within my scope ?

Thanks again,

EJ

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I actually wouldn't mind trying other programs. My problem is that I am really eager to start in 2007, but cannot make the deadline for application since I still haven't taken the step 2 CS exam and since the last date for applying for most hospitals has already passed.

Can I apply without having taken the CS on the basis of taking it later (say in Feb) ?

Is it worth while to apply for the scramble process and when at the latest can I do that ?

Are there positions opening later then July ? and, if so, where are they advertised ?

How do I find about programs I can apply for which are good and yet within my scope ?

Thanks again,

EJ

Don't sweat it.
You're white and jewish.
They''ll bend the rules for you.
You'll still be chosen.

Thanks guys,

But, how am I to play it from here ?

Am I supposed to start emailing all of the programs asking them to "bend the rules" for me ? I cannot submit papers to the electronic system until I have taken the CS exams (no available places until April BTW)

thanks,

EJ

Thanks guys,

But, how am I to play it from here ?

Am I supposed to start emailing all of the programs asking them to "bend the rules" for me ? I cannot submit papers to the electronic system until I have taken the CS exams (no available places until April BTW)

thanks,

EJ
I dont think they will "bend the rules" for you unless you have a personal contact at a program who will intervene on your behalf.I would suggest not asking for this directly.
The scramble tends to have few spots left over of the higher caliber programs you are interested in.Getting them is difficult if they occur.
You may not be able to do this for 2007.
I would consider writing to the program directors at hospitals you are interested in and send them a copy of your transcript and USMLE scores.Ask them if you are competitive for their program and how they would suggest you proceed.You may need to wait a year to get all this done.In that time you can do research here in the US or clinical rotations at hospitals of interest.
Let them know you are available to start early if an opeinng occurs mid year.This is not unsusual as people sometimes drop out due to sickness or personal problems.But a program will often need to have personal knowledge of you or recommendations from someone they know well before taking you.
Your scores are great so they will look at you closely and Israeli med schools have a good reputation especially on the coasts.Look at the university hospital in the NYC (Mt Sinai,Einstein-Motefiore),Los angeles area.Also some midwesten program such as Case Western are excellent but are somewhat less competitive due to their location.Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply.
It was very informative.
All the best,
EJ