q.about occupational medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gollam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how come not that many apply for this field?...pros/cons?.salary?...etc..anyone with info?....thanks

Members don't see this ad.

gollam said:
how come not that many apply for this field?...pros/cons?.salary?...etc..anyone with info?....thanks

I don't know the salary base, but I have worked with occupational medicine doctors. Basically, they're a mix between a general practitioner and light emergency med (such as basic suturing, nothing that is life threatening).

Pros: Laregly a 8 to 4pm job... some work later hours. Load is light, depending on how many companies your physician's group has contracted with. (good for family life) Low stress level for the most part.

Treat a variety of different things, but mostly workers comp and physical exams. Some occupational docs also add civ. flight surgery onto their list of things and do the FAA physical exams for pilots. So, you'll probably see a lot of back problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. as well as the constant number of physicals.

Cons: Lots of physical exams and hardly any treating of the sick, but you will get some suturing to do from time to time. If you have your own office, you're going to seriously establish contracts with companies and really work to hang onto them. Also, it's not as exciting as say surgery or Emergency med and for the most part your are limited to just working adults... But these might be pros to you.

I hope that helps... I wish I knew more about the financial side, but the oc docs never talked about their salaries.