q.about pain management fellowships...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you do a pain management fellowship through a physical medicine & rehab residency? is it the same as after an anes.residency?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

any idea about what % of residents go for fellowships..esp. pain management? is the job market for it good? how about the other fellowships? how are the salaries for gen.gas & fellowships?

thanks

Originally posted by The_Gas_Man
No......you must do an anesthesiology residency first.

Actually, that is incorrect. A PM&R graduate can undertake anesthesiology-based pain fellowship...I think they tack on an extra year though. The reality of it is, the programs highly favor anesthesiology grads and PM&R folks generally only land slots that are left over. That does not mean those are crappy places/programs by any stretch...one of the new pain fellows here at Dartmouth is a PM&R guy. However, it does mean that going pain after PM&R could be very tricky!

Members don't see this ad :)
A PM&R doc can do either anesthesiology or physiatry based pain management fellowships. Here at the University of Michigan we have an ACGME accredited PM&R run pain management fellowship that currently takes two per year. Also, the pain fellowship run by anesthesiology here at UMich also takes PM&R docs. So, yes, you can do pain fellowship through a PM&R residency. Visit the PM&R forum for full information.

As a physiatrist doing a pain fellowship, i have to say it is not tricky to get in. I had 7 offers for joining fellowships, 5 from top anesthesia and 2 from top rehab based. Each have pro and cons, so I picked what was the best fit for me.
Rehabilitation med folks have a better understanding of neuroanatomy, musculoskeletal examination, EMG and overall diagnostic skills. Anesthesia grads on the otherhand have better technical skills of needle manipulation and medication knowledge. Somewhere in the middle of the fellowship, the anesthesia fellows learn all about the MSK skiils and Rehab folks learn the technical aspect.

Conclusion: do the residency you think fits your personality and interest. fellowship is something you will have no problem with if you are good in what you do.

good luck