SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Q: application process, essay,...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Maruko, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Maruko

Maruko 7+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I hope someone will help me answer these Q's :

1/ What can the adcoms can and cannot see - physically - on our applications? Will they see things such as our family backgrounds and incomes, or those will be left to the Finaid office ? :rolleyes:

2/ In the essay, when I tell them I shadow Dr. ABC, should I let them know the doctor's name ? :rolleyes:

3/ Some people say you can turn in your app. even though your MCAT score hasn't come in. But adcoms won't consider your app. until everything's complete, right ? :rolleyes:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you 2+ Year Member

Apr 2, 2007
    The Falls

1/ Yes, the ad com will see your parents' highest level of education and how many siblings you've got. :rolleyes:

2/ Yes, give out the doctor's name. :rolleyes:

3/ Right. :rolleyes:

Oh, before I forget, this emoticon - :rolleyes: - means you're rolling your eyes. :rolleyes:
  4. neuro1617

neuro1617 2+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2007
    So ^ the OP's questions were already answered & I don't mean to hijack the thread but I just remembered a question I had...can you also talk about specific patient situations as long as you don't give names? I know I've heard about people mentioning them in their PS but I know when I shadowed anyway I had to sign a confidentiality waiver....if someone could answer that for me real quick:)
  5. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    It is best to avoid names, but to personalize the essay, you might consider using pseudonyms like "Mr. V" or "Miss K." You can also use a first name in quotation marks (e.g. "John"), which assumes the name has been changed.