" q calls"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anybody clarify q3 Vs q7 calls for example.
I graduated from outside USA, so am a bit confused with these
" q jargons" .

If I am with a q3 program does it mean for the whole year every 3 days I need to stay in hospital overnight and be on call for the whole night ??

Members don't see this ad.

q3 call does refer to call every 3rd night, q4 to every 4th and so on. A program with a year of q3 call may mean that they are straight q3 the entire year where you have to stay overnight, or that it's q3 call but some of it may be home call, or that it "averages out" to q3, where some months might be q2 and some might be q4, for example. You should look into the program to clarify what they mean when they say that they are q3.

If it's an IM program, it's likely that you would have a couple of months of no call interspersed between your call months.

Thanks for yr explanation, it's amazing some places have - or say they have q7 calls while other many places have q3...still I guess FREIDA is not the most reliable source for these info...

Members don't see this ad :)
When you see FREIDA site it says for eg : "q4d 4mths"
Does it mean every 4 days only for 4 mths of the whole year ??

This is Albert Einstein in PA by the way..

To answer your question: apparently that institution uses q4 for four months during the first year. I'm hazarding a guess here, but it sounds like that would apply for the general medical floors, since that makes up the bulk of your training, especially in the first year. On average, most hospitals have a q4 call schedule for the floors and a q3 for the units (read: CCU, ICU). But don't think that you will have all this back to back. As the previous poster noted, this will be interspersed with other more relaxing rotations.

Hope this helps. :)

Nu

For example, at my hospital in Queens, NY, I am doing IM-preliminary, and I have 5 months of q4 call. I have 2 months of Neurology call (where I'm on with the neurology resident), and, in those same months, I cover sick call. Otherwise (we're on a calendar month schedule, not 4-week), I get vacation, elective (with sick and neuro coverage) 1.5 months, float X 2.5 months (yeah, screw the prelims), renal one month (sick and neuro coverage), EM one month.