q for oto residency

Started by aent
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aent

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I an IMG ( 2002) applying for Otolaryngology in the US.

I have step1/92,step2/96 and 2cs passed.
Also have 3 papers published in pubmed and I am currently a research
fellow at the Mass Eye n Ear under a j1 visa status.
I dont have clinical experience in US, but I have a pre-graduate
rotation in surgery in the UK, ( St Thomas' s hospital, London ).
I also have 9 months of internship in general surgery (PGY-1 for ent according to their educational program) in my country (Greece).

Do you think that I have any hopes for ENT residency anywhere in the US?
Applying in many programs would help or would be just a waist of money?

Thank you
 
I think your chances are low, but not absent.

The positives:
1. Your publications
2. You're a fellow of some sorts at MEEI; you should be able to get a number of letters and/or references
3. You've done some clinical work.

The negatives:
1. Your Step I score is average for ENT
2. You were educated outside of the US
3. You trained outside of the US
4. You have a J1 Visa. If anything regarding paperwork is mishandled, lost, or improperly filled out, etc., it can delay your employment, training, and continuance. This is bad for a program and a good reason for them not to take you.

Hi everyone,

I an IMG ( 2002) applying for Otolaryngology in the US.

I have step1/92,step2/96 and 2cs passed.
Also have 3 papers published in pubmed and I am currently a research
fellow at the Mass Eye n Ear under a j1 visa status.
I dont have clinical experience in US, but I have a pre-graduate
rotation in surgery in the UK, ( St Thomas' s hospital, London ).
I also have 9 months of internship in general surgery (PGY-1 for ent according to their educational program) in my country (Greece).

Do you think that I have any hopes for ENT residency anywhere in the US?
Applying in many programs would help or would be just a waist of money?

Thank you