May 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student
why decreased MCV and increased MCHC in hereditary spherocytosis?

1badvette

7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
The MCV is Normal , not decreased ... As for the increase in MCHC , i think it has to do with the fact that RBC losses the center pallor and it's biconcave shape ,leading to a more fluffy RBC that is able to shug more Hemoglobin on the weekend .. ya feel me ??

OP
S
May 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student
The MCV is Normal , not decreased ... As for the increase in MCHC , i think it has to do with the fact that RBC losses the center pallor and it's biconcave shape ,leading to a more fluffy RBC that is able to shug more Hemoglobin on the weekend .. ya feel me ??

OP
S
May 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student

The question arose from- MTB>Hereditary spherocytosis>Diagnostic tests. U can have a look there, it's Low MCV and increased MCHC. Yeh! u r right too, MCV can also be normal , but I was wondering if MCV decrease, what could be the reason ???

1badvette

7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
The reason could be that MTB is WRONG ... Not sure if you've figured it out by now , but just because it's in the MTB , that doesn't make it right . Hereditary spherocytosis as far as i know and according to my man " PATHOMA" , it's a Normocytic Hemolytic anemia .. On the test it's gonna show up as Normal MCV, in life it can be whatever it wants to be ... A person can have low IRON along with HS and have a low MCV , or be low on folic acid and have a high MCV . Also knowing the MCV is not what you need in order to get a question on HS right.