Q on improving verbal scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing verbal passages like crazy but still not seeing much improvement. I might see some improvement in 2 days when I take a test but for now..

Would it be helpful to read outside material like scientific american in stead of practicing more and more verbal? I didn't think it would...

Members don't see this ad.

I find reading the New Yorker helpful. The articles are similar to MCAT level difficulty, but they're much longer and force you to concentrate for extended periods of time. I think reading 5000 words straight, and trying to do so fast with maximum comprehension has helped me. It may have been a fluke, the the last two "mini tests" I did in EK, 4 passages and 5 passages respectively, gave me an 11, and a 12 respectively, with my average for quiz #3 being a 11. My first few verbal tests were like 5/6.

Getting through passages faster really helps get those extra couple points that require going back tot he passage that make a big difference.

I hope this is a true uptrend, and that my practice tests will reflect it. The best I've done so far in an actual practice test was a 9 in TPR with the worst being a high 7. /me crosses fingers

I find reading the New Yorker helpful. The articles are similar to MCAT level difficulty, but they're much longer and force you to concentrate for extended periods of time. I think reading 5000 words straight, and trying to do so fast with maximum comprehension has helped me. It may have been a fluke, the the last two "mini tests" I did in EK, 4 passages and 5 passages respectively, gave me an 11, and a 12 respectively, with my average for quiz #3 being a 11. My first few verbal tests were like 5/6.

Getting through passages faster really helps get those extra couple points that require going back tot he passage that make a big difference.

I hope this is a true uptrend, and that my practice tests will reflect it. The best I've done so far in an actual practice test was a 9 in TPR with the worst being a high 7. /me crosses fingers
Thanks! After all the hard work I put into acing the pre-reqs, I would hate to see this verbal cause me a rejection from med schools:mad:. I will keep readin' and tryin'.

I would say it really depends when you take the exam. If your MCAT is more than 8 months away, then I would spend time reading outside material for practice. If your MCAT is within few months, then it might be best to stick to practicing VR passages. Re-doing EK101 VR passages might be helpful. Since there are 101 passages, you probably won't remember the questions and answers if you space out. Keep practicing (it is the only way to improve verbal).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it really depends when you take the exam. If your MCAT is more than 8 months away, then I would spend time reading outside material for practice. If your MCAT is within few months, then it might be best to stick to practicing VR passages. Re-doing EK101 VR passages might be helpful. Since there are 101 passages, you probably won't remember the questions and answers if you space out. Keep practicing (it is the only way to improve verbal).

I barely have 2 mo. That is why I kept practicing. I really have no time to read an outside material. I spend 4 hrs. each day on MCAT prep.

I barely have 2 mo. That is why I kept practicing. I really have no time to read an outside material. I spend 4 hrs. each day on MCAT prep.

Yes, then I would say you should strictly practice with MCAT-style VR passages and not the outside material. You only have two months and you want to make best use of it. Reading some dense outside material is more of a long term (1+ year) thing.

Yes, then I would say you should strictly practice with MCAT-style VR passages and not the outside material. You only have two months and you want to make best use of it. Reading some dense outside material is more of a long term (1+ year) thing.
Only if said person can already read fast and has trouble answering questions. IMHO, if your problem is reading speed due to not really reading much in the past, then you can make significant improvements. And, IMHO, reading articles that are significantly longer than MCAT passages helps train your concentration.

I think its helped me tremendously to read outside sources. I don't do tons of it, maybe 2-3 articles per week, but, reading 5000-6000 convoluted words from The New Yorker in one sitting makes most MCAT passages seem much more reasonable.

I've been studying verbal the past month.

Stuff I did to prepare:
EK 101 ---> did all and reviewed them too
5x TPR full lengths
4 AAMCs full lengths
1 berkeley review full lengths
1 Kaplan full lengths

I've been getting 8s, and occasionally 5s.

If you have a lot of time, definately practice your verbal. As for me, I am taking the MCAT tomorrow, so I am basically "screwed"...haha...I hope I can get an 8 on verbal.

I've been studying verbal the past month.

Stuff I did to prepare:
EK 101 ---> did all and reviewed them too
5x TPR full lengths
4 AAMCs full lengths
1 berkeley review full lengths
1 Kaplan full lengths

I've been getting 8s, and occasionally 5s.

If you have a lot of time, definately practice your verbal. As for me, I am taking the MCAT tomorrow, so I am basically "screwed"...haha...I hope I can get an 8 on verbal.

Good luck to you! I have been getting 8's in EK and got a 7 in TPR FL test yesterday. Practicing seems to be helping!

8's in EK and 7 in TPR? I personally find a huge disparity in difficulty between the two. My last 13 passages in EK have been 11, and my last 14 passages in TPR have been around 8.

When you say you're doing verbal passages, that includes the post-test analyzing right? I'd say one's biggest jump probably occurs through the post-test analyzing. During a test make sure it's timed. After you take a verbal test do this:

1. Go over every problem not just the ones you got wrong.
2. What was the main idea of the passage?
3. What technique did you apply, did it work?
4. Is there a type of question you get wrong more often?
5. Why are the wrong choices wrong and the right answers right?
6. Is there a way to make the wrong choices right by altering the question?
7. Try answering the questions based solely on the main idea. This one might be hard if you unintentionally memorize the correct answers. Try doing this after a few days.
8. Why did you make the mistakes you made?
9. What was the mindset of the MCAT writer? How was he/she trying to trick you into choosing the wrong answer?
10. Could you have eliminated any answer choices right off the bat?
11. How can you improve your technique in light of your mistakes?

It helps to keep a log at first to find out what types of questions you miss most. The analyzing part should take more time to complete than actually doing the test.

When you say you're doing verbal passages, that includes the post-test analyzing right? I'd say one's biggest jump probably occurs through the post-test analyzing. During a test make sure it's timed. After you take a verbal test do this:

1. Go over every problem not just the ones you got wrong.
2. What was the main idea of the passage?
3. What technique did you apply, did it work?
4. Is there a type of question you get wrong more often?
5. Why are the wrong choices wrong and the right answers right?
6. Is there a way to make the wrong choices right by altering the question?
7. Try answering the questions based solely on the main idea. This one might be hard if you unintentionally memorize the correct answers. Try doing this after a few days.
8. Why did you make the mistakes you made?
9. What was the mindset of the MCAT writer? How was he/she trying to trick you into choosing the wrong answer?
10. Could you have eliminated any answer choices right off the bat?
11. How can you improve your technique in light of your mistakes?

It helps to keep a log at first to find out what types of questions you miss most. The analyzing part should take more time to complete than actually doing the test.
Yes, I do analyze the test results most of the time. i.e, I did with EK and did not with TPR but I will try to be better about it.

I did the last TPR full length test yesterday and a EK one hour test today. I got a 9 in the EK test for the first time ever!:thumbup: